Is there a product that will clean a Windows installation like it was a new install?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by apathy, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I don't always use Windows, and the few times I do I would like it to work. The computer I bought had a repair partition which I promptly, accidentally removed. Is there a product that will clean the hell out of Windows 7, possibly better than CCleaner?

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

DiskMax does a more thorough cleanup that CCleaner does and you may want to take a look at this. But, there's nothing which will do what you are looking for.

If you don't use your computer much, and you're not constantly installing new software, you shouldn't have too many problems anyway.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Try PrivaZer ;)

w.png

4. roger_m

I don't think that is what he is looking for. Apathy doesn't want to move files left over from a previous install of Windows, but rather junk which has been added to the current Windows install.

5. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Make the installation as clean as you can, then create a disk image. No need for install DVDs or recovery partitions (in the future), just restore from that disk image and you're good to go.

7. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I agree.

8. littleturle

littleturle Registered Member

Toolwiz Care has a very good clean engine. Also it includes a Time freeze.

9. moontan

moontan Registered Member

what JL said.

plus everyone should get into disk imaging, i think.
    the benefits are many.

10. guest

guest Guest

This. :thumb:

Imaging isn't something that is hard to do anyway. Even Windows has a built-in tool for that.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Agree with this also. The best solution is to do a full image as soon as possible after a new install etc... Good insurance...

12. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

You hit the nail cleanly on the head there.No amount of cleaning or optimizing will come close to having a good,clean image to fall back upon.:thumb:

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

If you need software and tips on how to get there, try this link, especially 21.21. Do make a disk image before messing with your system though.

14. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

I don't always use Windows 7 either, but when I do, I use a fresh Digital River SP1 ISO and add necessary drivers as well as the equally deserved Norton trial from the OEM.

Promptly, accidentally? Hey, I was just joking about the Norton thing. FYI, that factory partition was more bloated than Oprah Winfrey on Taco Tuesday. Its only real purpose is holding your SLP key certificate and those super cool futuristic Hewlett-Packard wallpapers.

15. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

I think a product called RefreshPC is trying to do just that. I read somewhere it comes with some crapware optionnally installed. Never tried it myself.

-http://www.xp-smoker.com/refreshpc.html-

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  16. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Very true, you have some fantastic freeware Imaging programs and great Shareware programs too

Yes, I have Xp Home, the Windows imaging program is buried in the instillation Disk, one has to hunt for it not very obvious it has to be installed. It is easier and better to just buy one.

17. roger_m

No that's not what it does. What it is does is reset a number of Windows settings to their default state in an attempt to fix problems with Windows. I'm haven't had any success with it myself and Tweaking.com's Windows Repair is much better option for fixing Windows problems.

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

A valid licence has to be used with the ISO installation of Windows, right? Those that have PCs with OEM licences can't use the ISO, as far as I'm aware, unless they purchase a full MS product licence.

19. roger_m

No you can install Windows from an ISO and use the product key on licence sticker on the computer to activate it. It just needs to be same edition of Windows.

20. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

21. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Thanks for the link TS - very useful information there.

Back to subject of OEM licences though, if a user has no licence sticker on the product and basic system info gives the OEM product ID, would I be right in saying this isn't the correct key to use? Programs like Speccy appear to pull the 25-character string for the product, and it is this, I assume, that would be required for activation.

22. roger_m

There are some programs listed here which you can use to retrieve your product key.

23. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I'd strongly suggest contacting Lenovo and seeing if you can order replacement media for your IdeaPad Z575. If you ever want to sell it, recycle it, give it away, etc., you'll be able to use that media to create a clean install of the operating system on it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

24. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

Just a heads up. All the OEM SLP keys are already known and actually what allows the DRM to be version specific. So MSFT can't even prevent upgrades once SLIC 2.0 is present. Pretty big oversight.

Yes, the XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX format string is your key. The shorter string with OEM in it is your product ID. This will be useless on a Digital River ISO because you need your cert also: h**p://reboot.pro/topic/16578-oem-product-activation-clearing-the-crapware/

Generally all computers with preloaded Windows should have a COA sticker. Try looking inside the chassis or your box's documents. Win8 embeds the number in the bios, no sticker, with other exceptions.

Anyhow, I would first check for the presence of SLIC 2.0. or else you are going to need that COA code. You could try slui.exe 4/Phone activation but doubt it will work.

25. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The answer is most likely no.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.