Is there a need to stop running programs before defrags?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by sweater, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Is it really necessary to stop all running programs in our system before we start the actual defragmentation process? o_O

What's your technical opinion on this? o_O Coz I defrag for more than a year now without ever trying to stop any running programs (antivirus, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc...) but still my system works fine, and defragmented successfully..:cool: ;)

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Stopping programs before defragging should give you a more complete defrag as no reading\writing to disk is being done, the files\folders of any program can not be defragged while in use. Just a suggestion, I have done it for years, run defrag in safe mode. Much easier then ending tasks individually with task manager. I have found that the XP defragger seems a bit more complete in its job. I really question if it is or if MS just "dumbed down" the post defrag report.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Perfect Disk has no need for anything to be shut down. Moves files and folders just fine. Only thing I would do is shut down any real time scanners as they will try and check every file as it is accessed.

Pete

4. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the

Run defrag in safe mode? o_O :rolleyes: I thought I could only use safe mode for uninstalling some "hard headed" programs and scanning with anti-virus, antispywares... :blink:

At present, I am using O&O Defrag v8.5 Pro. Is it safe and ok to use this defragger in safe mode? Coz there's no instructions in their help file in doing so...in safe mode...:rolleyes:

5. ThunderZ

Do not know about O&O in safe mode. Sense a minimal set of drivers are installed when in safe mode O&O may not load\be able to run at all. But have used the MS defrag in safe mode for years.

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

No.

Indeed that's impossible, as certain programs are always running.

ALL defrag programs use the defrag API provided by MSFT.
    The only differences are:

1. THe user interface and options.
    2. How they choose to layout the files.

Use a good defrag program such as Pefrect Disk.

7. Lindburgh

Lindburgh Registered Member

I am so impatient that I could not wait for Defrag to finish and never have

However I use O&O and invariably leave it running when I go to bed

8. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I use mstDefrag and it`s running continuously and keeping things running smooth.

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

most defraggers (or, in fact, any program) that uses a service willl likely not run under safe mode. ive tried o&o and it doesnt run under safe mode.

contig + power defragmenter gui works nicely in safe mode tho.

and to answer ur original question, i do not shut down any programs, and the defrag runs ok. maybe i should shutdown some programs tho, O&O never quite hits 0.00% fragmention.

10. ThunderZ

Great program(s). Run the MS defrag in safe mode followed by the above mentioned in safe mode as well. Not quit 100% defragmented......but , when it dose`t cost me anything but a little time....:rolleyes: .....I can live with it. :D ;)

11. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

The only problem I've found with trying to defrag in safe mode (XP home) is that all kinds of errors get written to Events because drivers aren't loaded. I suspect this would also happen doing anything in safe mode.

12. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Well if you can beat under 1 min smart placement defrags with Perfect Disk then don't listen to me.

Shutdown all running apps including explorer,with a blank desktop point to your defragger through taskmanager and go for it!

Not that I need to as I have only ZAP and Sandboxie running realtime and sill under a minute for smart placement defrags.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.