Is there a growing need for an Android firewall

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by SuperSapien, Jan 5, 2016.

1. SuperSapien

SuperSapien Registered Member

With all the Android exploits such as Bash or Stage-Fright, certainly a firewall could help at least a little or maybe even GRSecurity patches I mean Google should be able to afford to use the LTS version of GRSec. There are so many Android devices out there that are vulnerable to exploits especially Stage-Fright. So am I correct should Google put a firewall in Android or even GRSec LTS version?

2. SuperSapien

Avast Mobile Security still has a firewall Krusty13 but Android has an Admin option under settings. So why doesn't allow third party firewalls to access this feature? It could significantly enhance Android security, but my guess is that firewalls use a lot of resources which would drain the battery faster this is part of the reason I suggested GRSec patches Android 5 already uses SE-Linux. Why not GRSec? After all GRSec can run along side and other Linux Security Module.:thumb:

3. new2security

new2security Registered Member

I use NoRootFirewall by Greyshirt. I'm amazed how many apps (virtually all of them) "needs" internet access.

4. SuperSapien

I noticed that on GooglePlay recently.:) Is it easy to setup?

5. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

AFWall + Custom ROM with XPrivacy... FTW.

6. new2security

new2security Registered Member

Yeah it's easy-peasy. Once installed, any arbitrary app "needing" a network connection will be blocked and prompted by NRF.

7. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I use afwall, is a pretty good firewall for android.
    I also use lbe security which is like a sort of HIPS for android, so e.g. can control apps that access contacts, dialer etc. Xprivacy is more powerful than LBE but it trashes performance.

8. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

In my case, I wouldn't install a Firewall. My phones are always pre-paid, and I never store nothing valuable in them. My current mobile is a veeery simplistic Samsung that doesn't even have an internet connection. But if I ever get a smartphone, I would only make a receive calls and text messages, so I wouldn't see a need for a Firewall.

9. SuperSapien

Thanks I think I'll try that.:thumb:

You mean this app? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lbe.security.prime

10. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

yeah but not sure if thats the right version as there is 2 LBE apps.

I get it from XDA as there is a dude there who translates it to english, play store version is chinese only.

11. SuperSapien

Could you please leave a link?

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I only do it because of metered mobile networks. And annoying ads.

13. SuperSapien

14. zakazak

zakazak Registered Member

Maybe this is interesting for you:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/guide-little-guide-to-security-privacy-t3042460

In my case I am not using a firewall because I trust the developers of my custom ROM (DirtyUnicorns) that they remove everything "homecalling" from the stock Android ROM (I am using a Nexus 6 so no samsung/htc modified ROMs).
    When it comes to apps -> I only choose apps which are developed by trust worthy companies/folks and block their permissions/network/etc with some kind of XPrivacy which is built into the custom ROM.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.