Is there a free firewall that passes all test at sygate site?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zorrozorrito, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zorrozorrito

zorrozorrito Guest

I am looking for a free firewall that passes all test at http://.scan.sygate.com
    (not zonealarm please). Because I have proved agnitum free, sygate free and kerio free, and when I test them in stealth mode, they don´t pass it!!!
    If someone tells me about a free one thay provides application traffic filtering and passes the sygate stealth test it would be good. Thanks for answering my friends

2. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

I just passed with Kerio 2x just fine if you look past all the possible FUD which is possibly causing all the confusion, but with that many firewalls I would account part of is to not knowing how to configure the programs properly. Even the XP firewall can fully pass those tests.

Their webmaster is a moron, the links to the other tests don't show up in non-ie browsers, at least in Firefox. I hate when I have to use IE because they are too lazy to make a web page to standards.

They think a closed reply to a tcp port is bad, and this proves they are spreading FUD once again as a stealth block is no more secure than a closed response. These people don't seem to be aware of how tcp/ip protcols need to work.

Not to mention their udp scanner is giving incorrect information, they are listed as open if when they are stealthed, aka blocked, or dropped.

This test has FUD all over it! I know what all the results meant, and which ones were falsely reported. Do not depend on these results, they are full of FUD aka BS unless you are smart enough to realize what they are reporting incorrectly :cool:

BTW, I run a closed response ruleset, and with one toggle of a setting I go from full stealth to letting my operating system send replies back to closed ports. I did the tests twice, once running as closed response as I normally do, and once stealthed... As long as there are no open ports your fine, and if there are its a configuration issue on your end unless its possibly reporting a udp port open when its actually being blocked.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  3. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Sygate should pass their own test, it does for me. Just be sure to go through every single application after install and click on advanced settings. Then unclick allow icmp pings and allow server rights. Its a pain but Sygate allows server rights and icmp pings by default. :rolleyes:

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I hope they do, otherwise things aren't looking that good for them :D

sygate tests are good

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I tried the latest version of Sygate yesterday. Bazooka zipped right through it while updating.

It is no longer on this machine.

6. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

it sure wouldn't be on my machine if this happend here ;)

7. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Looks like I passed with the new build of sygate. But think the test that was listed and the one I took was to read you compter not check your ports. :)

We have determined that your IP address is 000.000.000.000
    This is the public IP address that is visible to the internet.
    Note: this may not be your IP address if you are connecting through a router, proxy or firewall.

Trying to gather information from your web browser...
    Operating System = Windows 98 (Not my OS)
    Browser = Opera 5.02 (Not my browser)

Trying to find out your computer name...

Unable to determine your computer name!

Trying to find out what services you are running...

Unable to detect any running services!

8. notageek

notageek Registered Member

oops I did the wrong test I didn't do the stealth test sorry. Here's my resulrts for the stealth test with the lasted version of sygate.

Service

Ports

Status

Additional Information
    FTP DATA

BLOCKED

This port has not responded to any of our probes. It appears to be completely stealthed.
    FTP

BLOCKED

This port has not responded to any of our probes. It appears to be completely stealthed.
    SSH

BLOCKED

TELNET

BLOCKED

SMTP

BLOCKED

DNS

BLOCKED

DCC

BLOCKED

FINGER

BLOCKED

WEB

BLOCKED

POP3

BLOCKED

IDENT

BLOCKED

NetBIOS

BLOCKED

HTTPS

BLOCKED

Server Message Block

BLOCKED

SOCKS PROXY

BLOCKED

SOURCE PORT

BLOCKED

This is the port you are using to communicate to our Web Server. A firewall that uses Stateful Packet Inspection will show a 'BLOCKED' result for this port.
    WEB PROXY

BLOCKED

You have blocked all of our probes! We still recommend running this test both with
    and without Sygate Personal Firewall enabled... so turn it off and try the test again.

Looks like I passed. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.