is there a easy way to un-raid a striped 0 array??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i just got a 500gb drive brand new for free. i have 2 120gb wd's in a raid 0 array and we need one of them for another computer where the drive failed. id like to take one of the two 120's out and make it a single drive and then add the 500gb in this machine instead of the other. is there any easy way to do this or will i be stuck doing a format and re-install?? thanks

2. Aerowinder

Aerowinder Registered Member

RAID 0 has no redundancy. Removing one disk will disable the array. You may be able to image the array, though, and deploy the image to the new drive.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yes you should hopefully be able to image the array and restore that to the single drive. I believe some raid controllers have utilities that allow you to move data from a single drive to an array and back again. Don't ask me which ones tho :).

4. zfactor

there are no options like that in the raid controller on this abit motherboard. i can get it to recognize the new 500gb and the raid 0 for some reason i can either use raid or non raid. it appears when i use raid it disables the other sata ports on the mobo and it doesnt recognize any of the drives.

i thought raid 0 was some files to both drives. i thought raid 1 was where both drives had the same copies on them?? if i disconnect one of the 2 drives it does not boot up.

i have made a backup with ati11 and a bootable disk but i am unsure if i can copy it over being a raid 0 is supposed to be dynamic .. does thi not have to be changed in order to use it as a single drive?

5. zfactor

well its done i had to use ati and IT WORKED AWESOME!!! the only way i could undo the raid 0 was to disable raid then switch to the drives to non raid. this removed any data from them that was there. then i installed the new drive booted up with the ati disk and restored it that way .. wow it was so easy and worked amazing i am def a happy ati user now..

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah basically raid 0 splits the data between drives. If you remove one of the drives you've effectively removed half your data so nothing is gonna work. Raid 0 mirrors one drive onto another, should the main drive fail the mirror will kick in and your system will keep running.

7. zfactor

you mean raid 1 mirrors.. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.