Is there a concise list of known software conflicts with any important XP Updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Lately I have been interested in the subject of known software conflicts with any XP updates that are commonly deployed. Especially with criticle updates.

I spent some time trying to dig up info on the net, but it is a very laborious process. If you already know about a conflict it is easy to find details about it, but I had no luck finding anything approaching a short concise list that I could use to identify possible conflicts on my computer.

Considering the fact that we all know conflicts exist, and that most people have large numbers of updates installed it stands to reason that such a list exists somewhere...I just can't find it!

-HandsOff

2. ice60

ice60 Guest

3. HandsOff

Thanks for the info, and that article does provide some examples of conflicts. If I understand it, the articles is looking at programs that seem to have problems with sp2's built in firewall. Still, I was hoping that there might be some sort of informal list of conficts commenly reported between any program and any of the updates in sp1 or sp2.

People using sp1 plus all of the later individual updates might have an advantage in the fact that if they can identify a single patch that is causing them problems they have the option (sometimes) of removing that single patch and still retain the rest of the updates.

Identifying the confict may not be easy do to the number of patches and the fact that program with the compatibility problem may not be used until much later.

could it be that such conficts don't even exist, and a list would be too short to bother with?

-HandsOff

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

If that update is going to be the SP2..this I found interesting from Microsoft with list links back to the PC manufacture..

Get the Latest Updates and Information from Your PC Manufacturer Before Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/oemlinks.mspx

Helpful in the sense that when you do then go back to the maufacture site..most then have their own pages describing any special driver up dates or even program updates you should consider since They do know what software is preinstalled on their Models.

Just want all who work on PC's for friends or profits..to still realize that some maufacture have even done a good job...by Model number..to help their customers with the upgrade..

for instance here is the gateway generic page..

http://support.gateway.com/s/software/microsof/sHARED/xpsp2/SUPPAGE01su35.shtml

5. HandsOff

Primrose -

I agree 100% about the manufacturers sites can be excellent for downloading all of the current drivers. One of my first stops after reinstalling windows is to go to gateways driver updates.

That will be a service I will miss if I build my next computer instead of purchasing another Gateway computer.

Of course there are still drivers for peripherals, and upgraded parts, but my sound, video, and network cards, and chipsets all have new drivers posted at Gateway.

I read that ms left support for sp1 to manufacturers, but were going to supply ample support for sp2. Still, it is reasonable for them to want you to have the latest drivers. The only updated I didn't do is the BIOS upgrade. I want it, but I can't afford to take that risk right now, even though it might solve some problems.

-----------------------------
    I should say, i am hoping to find some XP Updates that can be uninstalled because I don't need them. Along the lines of if you already have a firewall, maybe you don't need a certain update. If your antivirus provides script protection, maybe you don't need a service. If you have a firewall router maybe you don't need certain services.

Lots of people have no problems with sp2. I use lots of disk burning, packet writing, virtual drives, video and graphic editing. These types of programs do not adapt well to changes. To my knowledge, most people who work with video have either not installed, or removed sp2. I know I am tired up updating and waiting to see what stops working. Unfortunately there are so many updates now that its hard to tell what is causing problems.

I'm considering not installing any more updates period. I'd probably have to have very high security settings, but I suspect it can be done.

-HandsOff

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.