Is there a Anti-Virus out there for me?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brent, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brent

Brent Registered Member

Yes I am extremely picky about what goes on my computer :rolleyes:

All I want is scheduled file scanning everyday at 8:00 A.M. I dont want real time protection(installation of activex controls. I noticed Panda is bad with that)

Not bulky... Norton....

Mcafee would slow my computer down when using Instant messaging plus I cant stand the security center. I dont need any of their other products I just want a virus scanner heh

I want to scan emails

And is there anyway or any virus scanner perhaps to get rid of or that doesnt make a icon in your systray? Again yes I am extremely picky as to how my computer runs.

I hope I explained my self well lol.

2. Brent

Brent Registered Member

btw I currently use no virus scanner. I guess I could live with there being a icon in the system tray lol but I dont want real time protection. Just a simple scan every morning

3. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

F-Prot or Command. They both have realtime protection, but it doesn't employ ActiveX like McAffee and is so low on resources that you won't notice it.

4. Brent

Brent Registered Member

I'll try those out thank you

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! and AntiVir don't use ActiveX eather. And i recommed that you use real-time scanner. WHen you are infected is usually too late to clean the mess.
    Right now worms are on the move,so its not so hard,but if you're hit by older one its most likely that your hard drive goes bye bye since real viruses in the past were more destructive...

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

On the other hand you could try another way and that is to run "Benign" http://www.firetrust.com/home/ .This is run on your system tray but is soley for email protection . As most issues ( 90-95%) seem to come through the email this is a sensible approach . The price of benign is for a lifetime license. you could as some do , run a anti virus without the monitor or real time monitor loaded so that if you chose you can schedule a check daily if thats what you feel is necessary . Even some thing like AVK single engine from extendia , costing $9 , set up without its monitor or real time loading . ( this is usually selected at the first load up of the anti virus. ) . . I use Benign for my emails, which all emails go through before arriving into my mail.
    A firewall is a good thing also.

7. Harleyman

Harleyman Guest

I agree with RejZoR, Avast! and Antivir are both good anti-viruses, and i would recommend using both. Just choose one as your main, and disable all scanners in your secondary, and use your secondary for on-demand scans only. After all they're both free, so why not use them? I'm thinking about getting a third anti-virus on my machine, for another on-demand backup scanner.

8. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi Brent,
    I'm using BitDefender SE 7.2 and I like it a lot. Avast is also a really good virusscanner. :)
    :rolleyes: Every virus scanner loads into the systray, so you know it's running. If you prefer not to see it, your choice, you can type in 'msconfig' at Execute. There you can choose to display the icon or not for the apps you don't want to see. Maybe there are utilities who let you do this without going into MSConfig, but I'm not aware of these. Be careful when you're in MSConfig!

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You could install Nod32 without the resident scanner (AMON) and have a scheduled scan set per you liking...

Small foot print
    Auto updates

Why don't you want a resident scanner running? Bad experiences?

Cheers :D

10. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I use regrun now for some weeks and it is amazing what you can control over your startup, registry.

Personally I think F Prot would be a good solution here.

11. Stephan123

Stephan123 Registered Member

Or choose Panda Platinium 7 .You can get it free at a website
    I don't know what website anymore

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Although I generally wouldn't recommend running in that mode, your question is clear.

Of the AV's that I've run, the ones that are readily setup to allow e-mail scanning, without a realtime monitor, and with scheduled scans are:

NOD32 - just disable AMON, have IMON enabled to handle e-mail, NOD32 scanner handles the scheduled scan. This would be my first choice.

mks_vir - again, e-mail scanning and the realtime monitor are separately activated components. Scheduled scan needs to be run from a password based account. Not a major issue even if you don't use passwords on your accounts - just create a dummy account that only mks_vir uses for this purpose.

I'm looking at KAV 5.0 - looks like the e-mail scanner is embedded in the realtime monitor, so you'll take both out with disabling realtime. KAV won't fulfill your configuration objective.

As mentioned above, I'm sure there are others that allow this configuration, and probably just as many that follow the KAV model.

Blue

13. f123

f123 Guest

You can disable the main Avast program you don't want full-time automatic protection. I also manually update my AV definition file. Barebone e-mail scanner is the way to go if you are proficient with PC security issues. The Avast definition update is lighnight fast (50KB or less). Note that it will take longer to launch the Avast update screen because you've disabled the main Avast scanner.

F.

14. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Avast is a good free AV, but it uses more resources than F-Prot or Command, and produces very noticable delays on older computers. Also, F-Prot, Command, and NOD all outclass it completely when it comes to detecting viruses.

15. Ailric

Ailric Guest

16. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

And Bitdefender free has a scheduler too.

17. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Only the Standard or Pro version has this. ;)

Attached Files:

18. Brent

Brent Registered Member

wow thanks for all the replies :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.