Is the resale value of Apple products affected by devices having soldered parts?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rigz, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Rigz

Rigz Registered Member

I know this has nothing to do with security, or privacy... but....

For the most part I always purchased preowned laptops. I've come to understand that I don't really always have a need to have the newest thing, and can usually function with hardware that is a few years old.

What do you guys think of Apple releasing laptops that aren't serviceable by the user? In the past I knew that I could always purchase a used MacBook Pro and if needed upgrade the hard drive, RAM, and replace the battery and still not pay anywhere near what a brand new laptop would cost. It looks like those options are going to slowly fade away in the Apple world. This question seems like it has an obvious answer, but do you all think that there will be a negative impact on the used Mac market?

Do you guys think that it will eventually be standard for all laptops (Apple, Asus, Dell, etc.) to be, for the most part, non user serviceable eventually killing the used marked for laptop computers?

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@Rigz I don't think it will have that much an impact. The reason their products have such a high resale value is that new Macs are very expensive. Unlike for PCs there are no budget options.

I certainly hope that having non user servicable parts never becomes the standard for PC laptops.

3. Rigz

Rigz Registered Member

I'm realizing I should have been a little more descriptive in my title so people realized I was specifically talking about MacBook Pros and not just general Apple devices, or maybe left the title with "laptops" as the general term.

I've currently got an i7 Macbook Pro from 2012 and M4600 Dell Precision that I recently bought on eBay which would have been considered new around the same time period as the MacBook Pro. Both computers have such easy access to the hard drive, RAM, and battery. Apple has already done away with a lot of this in the newer models and it would be a shame to see this trend picked up by other brands.

4. Yes it is moving towards non removable parts in laptops. All laptop producers including Apple are moving this way because it's cheaper.

Most laptops come with soldiered on CPU's these days so you can't upgrade. And it's getting harder to update the RAM and HDD.

Part of it is so Apple can charge huge inflated prices from re-sellers to upgrade parts and fix laptops. It's a business plan to milk people.

But there are laptop manufacturers like MSI who are making laptops where you can upgrade the RAM, HDD and GPU. Just not the CPU.

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

It is not just cheaper, but without the sockets, connectors, cables, etc., they are more reliable, lighter and thinner too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.