Is the field of antispyware about to explode?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ejr, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I seem to read about more and more good security applications in this forum. As Spyware seems to be grwoing at an alarming rate, it is nice to see that we have more an more options to protect ourselves from it.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    More and more apps does not mean more security.
    Mrk

3. ejr

ejr Registered Member

You are correct. But I do think more an more apps bring a heightened awareness to the problem.

Who knew about spyware 5 years ago? Now, my mother who is a 72 year old grandmother is aware of it.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Spyware is not growing at alarming rate. At least not the rate that should alarm you. More products means more people trying to win a buck.

As to being aware of computer threats - not just spyware per se - I wrote TSRs in DOS using Pascal in 1994 or so.

BTW, here's a physical rule - it's called the conservation of money:

Any product generating revenue is bound attract the attention of other people, so the overall money gain is 0. Spyware makers / spyware killers = 1.

Mrk

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: You would never have a spyware problems, if do not have a fear of it and sometimes this fear is generated by reading too much. And if you let those malwares have no slight chance to enter, you will never have such fear. My sincere advice, enlist the aid of some sandbox/virtualization apps. The issue of explosion of AS congestion will be blown out window before you know it. After enlisting such device, most of my AS apps are given bye-bye :) severance package.

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Good to have competition, better improvements, lower prices for commercial solutions. Bad for all the confusion that makes. The choice can be confusing.

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I admire that line of thinking :thumb:

Without Virtualisation in the form of SandBoxes this circle would be endless as well as indefinite.
    I always say and will still do so, the day that malware creators can discover a clever method to Hijack the very electric current flowing into my appliances (including PC of course :cool: ) that's when i concede they are masters of mystery, in the mean time they are at best only an annoyance like a centipede trying to crawl thru my computer usage time. :D

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I have seen spyware become non-existent on my system since adding the simple and 'free' program 'SpywareBlaster'. Just manually update it a few times/month and your all set.

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Hello taday tobacco

What you mentioned gets me thinking, if not for the challenge of seeing what can stand up best to the oppositions craftywares and chance landings on exploitable websites, many of us would probably might not need this whole military type approach of defensive material (softs) to stave off such intrusions.

But...........the internet is not a safe road to travel given the combination of Windows limitational objectives when it comes to them writing computer code plus the malware weilding gangs getting paid to attach bogus internet-time stealing files that also robs users of their internet time they pay for every month and worse.

10. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hello EASTER.2010

I've been using a 'KAV Based' av for a few years now and up to the point of adding SpywareBlaster, would only see the occasional spyware infection, but none since that addition to my setup. In fact, i've ditched most of my scanners and run the 2 left once a month and they never find anything. I've gone the same direction as you and now only have Bufferzone and an AV running besides SpywareBlaster and of course a Firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.