Is the ESS Firewall worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by slingload, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slingload

slingload Registered Member

I run NOD32 on a Windows 7 x64 machine. I am considering upgrading to Smart Security, but it appears that the only added features I will gain is Antispam and Firewall. Antispam is of no value to me because I use web based Gmail.

Is the ESS Firewall worth the upgrade (and associated costs) from NOD32 to ESS? Or should I stick with NOD32 and Windows Firewall?

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

If you don't need Antispam, there is no point in paying extra for the suite just to get the ESS firewall. IMO, it's no better than the Windows firewall so you might just as well stick with NOD32 and save yourself some money.

If you do decide that you want a third-party firewall for outbound application monitoring, there are some good free ones to choose from without paying extra.

3. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Yes, ESS has a two-way firewall but the question was whether it is worth paying extra just to get the firewall, given that Antispam is of no value to the OP.

Either the Windows 7 firewall (also two-way) or a free third-party two-way firewall would provide outbound application control without incurring extra cost.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

For just the firewall? No. The Windows 7 firewall works just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.