Is SSM together with DefenseWall Overkill?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dmenace, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Is System Safety Monitor Paid together with DefenseWall Overkill?

I am considering using such a setup as many programs I download from internet won't install as "untrusted". Hence I need to install them as "trusted" and DefenseWall now offers no protection.

This is where SSM would come in as it will still alert me to dangerous behaviour...

Cheers,
    Dmenace.

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi.

If programs downloaded from Internet were to be allowed to install as untrusted, then these programs just can NOT perform fully, can they ?

More than just few times, I forgot to remove d/l programs' untrusted status marked by DW, as a result, those applications just would not fly at all.

IMO, if you want your cow to work hard, but refrain them from eating feed. This sort of arrangement, probably just can not get airborne.

Take care.

3. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

In my opinion, SSM is overkill by itself.

4. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

no SSM is not overkill by itself!!! :mad:

Speaking of overkill, look at Comodo 3. Its GUI is way too confusing and features like COM/OLE control is just too much to handle with one app thats supposed to be a firewall. :ouch:

5. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

The only thing I don't like about the latest version of SSM is the registry screen which is very confusing compared to it's earlier version, IMO.

The other thing is the Network module. I don't think it was needed, and it never worked properly so I had to turn it off. But beside that I agree with you SSM is not overkill.

6. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I'm a fan of kerio 2 and sygate, and it is normal in a way to find almost every security software to be overkill :). That includes Comodo too, by the way.
    SSM is overkill for me from another point of view. It hooks almost every function in the windows kernel, and I consider it to be too agressive for what it is doing.

7. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

I think it is not overkill because the idea is to have a second HIPS ready to take action when I am "forced" to run a program setup with Defensewall being in trusted mode.

Regards
    Frank

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Finally, someone else who shares the same view on that change. It's one big part of what eventually drove my own interest & attention over to EQS.

As for overkill? At this point i would say yes and no. If they both run stable without ANY issues and neither interferes with the other then i wouldn't have a problem with that combo personally, but then i never tandemed these two up together myself.

A more varied approach is most users preference, such as a single HIPS + Behavioral Blocker + SandboxIE for one example.

9. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I dont think it is overkill. I am using Defencewall, Dr Web and the free version of Processguard togeather right now and all seems to be working great togeather.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.