Is Spybot Search & Destroy being targeted by its competitors?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ronjor, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I had a look at the article and I'm not sure why this is seen as a personal attack? Conflicts between security applications are common, and most antivirus apps won't even install if another AV is detected on the system. What's going on?

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Conflicts are common, yes. But when one app deletes another, perhaps then it starts to seem personal to Kolla.

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I have had av installs warn me that I have another installed and should uninstall it. That doesn't bother me. I have to make a choice or look at the possibility that a previous av uninstall left traces.

What I wouldn't accept is if an install process deleted another program!

It appears that a big part of the issue is a lack of cooperation from some developers regarding program compatability.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for pointing out the "delete" issue. I missed that when I skimmed the article the first time. It would be good to do some testing with KAV & KIS to see if they really do delete components of Spybot S&D during install - that would be a serious matter.

7. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

It's bad enough to have malware plaguing people. Now we have to worry about "incompatibilities". The article implies that they were artificialy induced, and rather than suffer negative press have miraculously solved the incompatability issues. At least some manufacturers. Nortan was on my DO NOT BUY list with Mcaffee. Kaspersky made it to the list in 08'. Now I know it was the result of active denial of Spy Bot S&D by Kaspersky. Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me. Flogg'em I don't recall Spybot being classified as an AV, but now that they include anti-rootkit tools maybe this blurs the line.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    well it seems that most of the incompatibilitieshave been solved so i dont see an issue anymore.
    lets hope spybots detection and removal rates improve.

9. Searching_ _ _

In my view Kaspersky was corrupting the space in which they operate, the Windows OS, by introducing incompatibilities to limit the competition intentionally causing unnecessary problems for the users and then telling users to remove Spybot as the heart of the incompatibilities.
    They are not much different then the rogue Antivirus 2009 which causes computer users problems for money.

You buy a security tool to protect your interests, not cause more problems.

I purchase Kaspersky, install. Run. Download Spybot Free, Install, Run.
    KAV creates issues for Spybot intentionally as if a threat to the money I already spent for their protection.
    How dumb is Kaspersky? They don't deserve anymore of my money.

Burn the Witch!

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Has nothing to do with the thread topic.

11. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I don't think kaspersky is intentionally trying to create incompatibilities. I do believe they are using very weird and dangerous methods to use some of their modules such as self protection, and anti rootkit. I tried installing kaspersky internet security 2009 into a VM to test it out and the VM just dies right after installation. No other AV i have tried in a VM manages to just destroy it after installation. They are obviously risking customers system to pass a few tests like the just-posted cryptunpacker one.

12. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I do think posting by Searching was a bit extreme. As KIS user I do not feel Kaspersky Labs is limiting me, or introducing incompatibilities.

Currently my machine has WinPatrol Plus, Ashampoo AntiSpyWAre, MBAM Free and prevX Edge installed. No issues, or even warnings from KIS during normal operations. I have had SAS Free installed too, again no problems.

Personally I have not observed KIS deleting anything on its own from my machine. What comes to Spybot issue at hand, I can imagine the effects misused Teatimer could introduce, especially to a system where security software is being installed.

13. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Which one, VirtualBox? I've had no problems installing/using it in VMware. :)
    There's nothing wrong in improving your defenses against malware aiming to disable you, sure it can cause inconveniences for some, but it's usually quickly resolved if deemed critical. :)
    P.S so why aren't there any problems with SAS and MBAM coexisting with other AVs even in realtime...? S&D should improve compatibility with other main Security applications, not the other way around. :)

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It would if you quoted the entire post. On to the topic, if this were a competitor issue, Spybot wouldn't be the only one being singled out, imho. Maybe it's a simple case of multiple softwares trying to "hook into the same area" so to speak. There's got to be something about TeaTimer that is causing it to be flagged by these other products.

Then again, we all know running two real-time antispyware/antivirus apps cause issues anyway, so I'm not sure where there's a problem here. I'm awful sorry to say this, and it's not an attack on Patrick, but, his product isn't as useful as it once was. It's not a bad product at all, but it just doesn't pack the punch it did in its glory days. To me this whole thing is just a simple conflict issue, nothing else.

15. Searching_ _ _

Motive for,

an artificially introduced
    designed to limit Spybot.

Bun her!

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

So you're willing to believe that all these developers of the mentioned products have been sitting in a corner snickering and plotting on Spybot, nevermind the fact that SAS is also free, so is MBAM? They don't even go after each other, everybody just decided to pick on Spybot? Mhm, right. It amazes me how easy it is here to turn a thread into a conspiracy, some of you guys are pros at it. Well whatever, since it's going that route I'm staying out of it.

17. Searching_ _ _

@dw426

You need to stop using all inclusive statements when I was specific in my allegations!

AVG, Avast, Avira and Dr Web don't have an issue with Spybot.

I am to far removed to determine the links between KAV/KIS, Nortan and Mcafee that would cause them to make the same choices in harming a competitor they feel should take a walk into the forest. Maybe they did it over tea and biscuits.

Burn the Witch! (crowd now chants Pythonesc)

18. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

In VMWARE.

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I don't wish to get into an argument with you or anyone else, but you are doing the same thing I pointed out concerning the other poster. This thread is not about the abilities of Spybot, or lack thereof.

This is NOT a "simple conflict"...

20. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Actually, no. The installer clearly states that S&D is incompatible, and in order to resume the installation it must be removed (via S&Ds own uninstaller). It's up to the user to decide, so
    isn't true. :)

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

- Patrick Kolla, about a month ago.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  22. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

Here's the installation window for KIS.

What are you going to do if you've just paid £39.99 for KIS and it wants you to remove a free programme?

The answer might not be so obvious if you'd previously paid £39.99 for SS&D.

A clear case of try before you buy.

Attached Files:

• sd.jpg
      sd.jpg
      File size:
      183.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, do you think I can't read between the lines? No matter how you worded it, you basically are saying they are purposely trying to screw over Spybot. If you don't believe that, then say so and don't add cute little "Burn the witch" sayings at the end.

@Page42, I'm not going to argue with you all night either, but taking parts of a post and saying a poster is going off topic doesn't cut it...which is the same thing you just did with me. It IS a conflict or else why would Kaspersky or any of the others give two craps if you have some freebie on your system? If you pay for their product, that's all they care about. All this nonsense needs to go, too many people here think they are "championing" some cause when all they are doing is spewing enough crap to require a backhoe to clean up.

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Of course it cuts it. Unless you think that because a portion of your post is on topic, the rest can be whatever you want? Let's drop the On and Off Topic discussion. You should have a clear understanding that discussing the merits of Spybot as a security application is not what this thread is about. If you don't have that understanding, then that backhoe you alluded to is going to be busy following you around. ;)

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, Page, come on now, you're smart enough to know that an extra thought or an opinion can be placed in an otherwise on topic post, which is what the remark about Spybot not being up to par was, a simple extra opinion. If those aren't allowed, then every forum here would be half deleted. Regardless, I still have an issue with people thinking that a couple of well known companies that are trusted and reliable, are the ONLY ones that seemingly have a bone to pick with Spybot.

If it were really that, why aren't the others that were mentioned (Webroot and such) not following suit? This reminds me of a different thread, why would they risk their good rep over a free app that barely holds relevance anymore (yes I know Page, OT again, lol)? That's the part that doesn't make a bit of sense to me, why would they bother? Is there some behind the scenes story none of us know about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.