Is security software too expensive?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by InfinityAz, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Although you can say what you want about Microsoft, they are driving prices down with Live OneCare (relatively inexpensive and can use on up to 3 computers).

It seems that many companies are following suit and offering a similar pricing structure. I do wonder if/when Kaspersky (KIS - $69.95/1 user, KAV - $49.95/1 user), ESET (NOD - $39/1 user), and others will follow suit and lower their prices and increase the number of users.

Do you think security software is too expensive and what is a fair price for AV, firewall, HIPS, or a suite?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

A question?. What is the security of your computer worth to you.??

3. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Good point. The security of my computer, while not priceless, is worth quite a bit to me.

However, I can use varied techniques and several pieces of excellent security software and not spend a penny but still have my computer/data well protected.

4. dog

dog Guest

I prefer free ;) ... but $5 month for AV signature updates isn't unreasonable and half that for Antispyware def updates -- if you feel the need for a commercial AS app. Everything else should pretty much be a one time fee -- FW, HIPS, Imaging, etc..

I think you can obtain fine security for zero dollars. IMO if there's one thing to invest in; I think it's a backup solution.

So to answer the question ... No; I don't think security is too expensive - as most software can be had for nothing and the rates for commercial AVs is reasonable. If you purchase every latest, greatest thing for security it could be costly ... but none of them are essential.

Having switched to Linux, my software cost is nothing. :) For the Windows systems I setup, the cost is also zero dollars , except for the few business I've setup that have choosen Windows over Linux, but the cost of a commercial AV (and AS if requested) is more than reasonable.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

A good reply, with the quality of some freewares getting better it is possible to get decent protection. But for my own use I prefer to have a major security company behind my security apps. Not to say I don't use freeware,at the present time I do have one free security app installed and have used several more in the past.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I agree, this is the most important question, that everyone has to ask at first.

All software I use is freeware, except WinXP, PC Translator 2005 and a few games.
    I would not pay for security software, but I think, that it could be "a little" cheaper.
    Just basic costs about 80$ per year: 40$ for Outpost Pro Firewall & 40$ for NOD32 AV.
    If someone has 350$ per month: 200$ goes for bills, 150$ for food, there is not much left.

7. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

IMO Yes it's too expensive. I think it should be free or much cheaper. We shouldn't have to pay that much to keep our computer in order!

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

For the most part, my hardware and software that I have obtained over the years have either been free or dirt cheap. Antivirus was always free after rebate. Used only free firewall programs. Haven't used HIPS yet. I avoid suites like the behemoth plague that they are. But I do understand that the cost to develop and maintain the software has to be borne by someone somewhere. Prices should be based on development costs and program features. However, since I am one who believes that getting a free PC, printer, software, etc. is an extra luxury and convenience, I probably cannot provide a "reasonable" price quote. :D

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

One can have excellent security these days with less expense than previously, I think.

While I have KAV 6 on one machine, I do think it is a comparatively expensive AV at $50 in round figures. On that machine I also have; Win Patrol Plus (a one time cost), LooknStop which also has not required additional cost, Ewido Plus (lifetime), Snoopfree, Counterspy, and UnHackMe.
    Most of those are not annual subscriptions, and I believe I have fine security.
    I suppose that the annual cost now runs about $45 -$50, considering the price break for renewals for KAV.
    Avira Premium is much less expensive than KAV costing about $25 but no break for renewal.

It is less on the laptop with Avira Classic, Snoopfree, Win Patrol Plus (no additional cost since the license is for me not the computers.), Kerio 2.1.5, SuperAntiSpyware lifetime license, a-squared free, and UnHackMe.
    There is no annual renewal cost for those applications.

I believe I am equally well protected on the laptop as with the desktop. I realize there was an initial cost for SAS and Snoopfree, but they are free after that.

Considering the above, I do not consider the cost of security software too expensive if one chooses carefully. With Avira's great detection rates one can get by with a free AV that is as good as the best paid applications. There are some good AS free applications such as Spyware Terminator that can provide real time protection. The free ATs, such as a-squared, do well with both trojans and other malware.

I am willing to pay for what I consider that I need, hence KAV6, but one could get by well with all free applications, if he is a reasonably safe user. Nearly everyone I personally know ends up with AVG free, and a free anti-spyware, and they never heard of much else after Spybot and AdAware.

Best,
    Jerry

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In general, I prefer to spend my money on non-security softwares, like Acronis True Image Home and FirstDefense-ISR.
    Upto now, I only bought a firewall.

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

We can get a very good protection with the available free solutions, but we want the best, we have to pay for them...

Some companies are making very good products for free, like Comodo, and this is a very good thing for us, and also because the others companies have to improve a lot and develop new tecnologies to be on the market and make the difference...

12. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi

From my point of view, no, I don't think the paid applications are too expensive.

In fact, I really don't get how many of these software houses are staying in business, especially ones targeted for the home user market. Goodness knows what percentage of that market simply use the AV that's bundled with the machine at point of sale, switch on Windows firewall and then at best may download Spybot and Adware.

I've a few moments ago renewed my NOD32 licence and earlier in the week bought the full version of SSM for a combined total of £23!!. That's the cost of 2 DVD films in the UK. For what I get in terms of support and development from 2 highly acclaimed pieces of technical software, I think that represents remarkable value.

Just my 2 pennies worth :)

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I think that if a person likes something and wants to have it, then the price is probably not too high. I would have no qualms paying for something I like, which I did a few times (for instance TU2006 and TI9), but I guess my margin would be around 60-70 dollars.
    Mrk

14. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

What security programs are worth may vary by individual.

I think that a lot of programs are over-priced.
    With some freeware performing very well,maybe the prices will come down.
    Look at Comodo and AntiVir PE Classic.
    Why pay with options like these available for free?
    Another example of a bargain;look at the two Paragon programs that are free til' Nov.1.
    It pays to look for free offers,freeware,and bargains.

15. Carver

Carver Registered Member

These days you need a top-noch AV like NOD32 USD $39.00 and a first rate firewall like Outpost Pro USD $40 and a good combo utility like Tuneup 2006 USD $40 we mustn't forget backup like acronis True Image 9 USD $50 or ghost USD $70 if you prefer..should be all paid. If you chose wisely you can use freeware for the rest, but if you like the particular piece of software that is paid weather it be a one time fee or a yearly subscription then it is up to you. Do I think some software is over priced, yes. But the software tends to be 3rd or 4th rate (not very good) sometimes it is full of spywareand more trouble than it is worth. Some people think the more you pay for software the better it is. What is important in chosing security software or other software is knowledge, otherwise you waste money and time. And you can make a very good start on your computer security education by just reading the posts on this forum.

16. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

It's not a matter of whether it is too expensive or not. Basically I don't see the need to spend any money at all on security software for personal usage.

You ought to know something,:
    1) You buy a security product, a few months later down the road, the company goes bust or gets bought over by a larger firm, or the company pulls the plug on that particular product.
    2) For example, DCS's TDS, Sygate Personal Firewall free/paid.
    3) Then, wouldn't you be contemplating whether it was right to purchase that piece of security software in the first place?
    4) Paid security products are good-for-nothing IMO, I don't see how it can last long.
    5) Freeware security applications combined with a good level of end-user experience, technical skills & expertise, knowledge are IMHO the best way to go for home users.
    6) PAID security applications are the way to go for SMBs and large organisations & companies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.