is sandboxie for 64 bit buggy?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ncage1974, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ncage1974

ncage1974 Registered Member

I don't know why i decided to browse over to sandboxie's site tonight and much to my suprise it was NOW available for x64. Well i downloaded it very quick and was very excited. My excitement has now lowered after i'm having multiple problems. Every program i'm running in sandboxie seems to be having major permission problems. For example i try to open up notepad and write a plain test file to the following locations:

(Main Hard Drive) C: "Access Denied"
    (Secondary Hard Drive) f: "Access Denied"
    My Documents folder "Access Denied"

On the getting started tutorial of sandboxie:
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?GettingStartedPartThree :
    Tried to save the ico file to my desktop as instructed and got no dialog like they said i would. I just installed sandboxie so i hadn't made any settings changes but after i didn't get the dialog i checked. Quick recovery checked with my desktop in the included folders. "enable immediate recover checked".

Then i go to try to download some files in IE/Firefox instances that are sandbox.

Tried to download a file in ie to "My Documents" folder and it gets to the end of the download where ie finally writes the contents to disk and i get "You need permission to perform this action"

If i do the same in firefox the download window that usually opens for firefox never opens and if i open it manually then there is nothing in it. Is sandboxie this buggy or am i doing something wrong here? I just can't imagine it having things as major as this in it.

I thought a reboot might help but no such luck. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64

thanks,
    Ncage

2. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Notes About 64 Bit Edition
    Drop Rights:

3. the dummy

the dummy Registered Member

I use it for my browser only with 0 problems. Ive heard its not for running all the programs one may have, but im not the one who can tell you which ones to avoid.

4. ncage1974

Thats all find and dandy but not even being able to write your user profile directory shouldn't be stopped. Writing to like %windir%\sytem32 i can understand. I understands it running you with limited privledges and all just like windows 7 does with UAC but come on....

5. ncage1974

Yes i can browse with no problem at all but soon as i try to download anything is when it falls flat. One of the main times when i would want it to protect me...... Maybe the sacrifices he had to make for x64 aren't worth it. I never did run the x86 version because i have been running x64 since vista RTM

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Nope, works fine for me.

7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Windows 7 Pro x64 since x64 version became available.
    Virtually trouble free.
    Perhaps you would do better on the Sandboxie forums.
    Hugger

8. ncage1974

Ya i might try that. I will try to uninstall/reinstall if that doesn't work then i'll go to the forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.