Is running NOD32 enough?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by koliko, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koliko

koliko Registered Member

Hi everyone.
    I am a very keen NOD32 (2.70.) user. I tried many AV products in the past, and IMHO NOD32 was (and still is) the best AV solution for me (I run online BitDefender and Kaspersky scanners every now and then just in case, and every single time the online tests prove that ESET means business :thumb: ). I also run Comodo (2.3.6.81) as my personal firewall and I'm quite content with it. Will these two products + the occasional online scans suffice? Should I use any additional anti-trojan and/or anti-spyware products? If so, which one would you recommend?
    Thank you. :)
    koliko

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Re: Is runnung NOD32 enough?

Hi koliko, welcome to Wilders.

For your system it seems as though NOD32 is in fact enough. I do recommend using a HIPS program alongside NOD32 this gives you a greater coverage for what's out there.

You can see various security setups within a link in my signature.

Cheers :D

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i have no problem using just AV + FW. id say nod32 with comodo is a good combo.

if u want, u can add superantispyware free for on-demand scans.

4. koliko

koliko Registered Member

Thank you. ;)

5. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Same here. However I do scan with a couple of online scanners once a month or so. I've always done that, even before getting NOD32 ;)

6. Blackspear

You are welcome.

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

The answer also depends on you, your habits, what you do online and with your PC, etc.

Are you high risk? Doing p2p software? Hitting "risky" websites?
    Or low risk, doing only web mail, a few safe sites, and that's about it.

I always want a PC behind a NAT router anyways, wouldn't run without that (only exception being behind proxy like ISA)

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I use NOD32 2.70.16 + Outpost Pro + BufferZone Pro + Spyware Terminator.

9. pipester

pipester Guest

I think NOD32 and a firewall are more than adequate protection. NOD32 covers all areas of malware.

10. koliko

koliko Registered Member

I don't use any p2p file exchange programs and I usually visit low-risk sites. But, when I do hit the high-risk one, I really pay attention... better safe than sorry. :) When I download a software I run an MD5 and/or SHA1 cryptographic hashes of the file and compare them to the hash info from the parent site. My computer is behind a NAT router, so this may be another layer of protection.
    You've suggested me I should use a HIPS program. Which one should I use? Would Anti-Executable Standard be a good choice? (Is it HIPS anyway?:) ) What about Cyberhawk and DefenseWall?
    I'm also thinking of trying Spyware Terminator (and using it for on-demand scanning only, because I'll be running HIPS and I wouldn't like to "overload" my startup and ram.

11. Blackspear

Try a few and see what you like. I use Online Armor, NOD32 and a Firewall. When NOD32 release their suite I will drop the firewall and use theirs.

12. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

nod32 plus comodo is plenty of protection imo. Back it up with an on demand scanner like a-squared or superantispyware and you are all set to go.

13. btman

btman Registered Member

After downloading alot of samples... NOD32 caught about 1/4th of them, which was like 6 trojans... AVG Anti-Spyware found 12... And surprisingly after all the good reviews of SUPER ... It found none... And Windows Defender even caught one lol... ST caught 3 which isn't bad. So I'd recommend adding AVG Anti-Spyware to your setup.

You got a great firewall, and it's good you run the Kaspersky online scan... Because yesterday while running all my scanners... After cleaning everything they could... I installed Kaspersky (After uninstalling NOD32 obviously) (BitDefenders installation didn't turn out well) and ... It cleaned another 6 of the samples... Hopefully I got them all gone now lol.

14. koliko

koliko Registered Member

Bottom line:
    I've decided to keep AVG Anti-Spyware. It is the most suitable for me. Nice and smooth.
    HIPS: Not decided yet. Anti-Executable Standard is the worst product I've encountered (maybe it's just me... I don't know), I am not satisfied with DefenseWall and Online Armour simply cannot start (keeps telling me it cannot connect to the server, even though it is allowed to connect to the Internet).
    So, thank you all for your advice and help! You're great! ;)
    koliko

15. Holden4th

Holden4th Registered Member

I'm probably going to feel foolish after I see the answer but the HIPS acronym has got me stumped. Please explain.......

16. Long View

Long View Registered Member

17. Blackspear

Nah, better to ask and know, than sit in the dark and wonder ;) :D

HIPS

18. koliko

koliko Registered Member

Online Armor... my choice. ;)

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No. Not yet anyway. I had a Trojan picked up by SUperAntiSpyware a couple of days ago. It said "Trojan of unknown origin" Which i presumw is a heuristic detection. Of course i know that no security solution is 100% effective.

20. toasale

toasale Registered Member

NOD32, a squared anti-malware, CounterSpy Beta (I'm a tester), ZA Pro and AVG's root kit product.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.