Is PrevX Home LEGAL for me to use?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by squash, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squash

squash Registered Member

I got PrevX Home. But there is a question of whether it would be legal for me to use/keep using it.

According to the PrevX Home Terms and Conditions at http://www.prevx.com/prevxhometerms.asp Formatted by me to show important parts

Then under "2. LICENCE AND USE OF MATERIALS" it says:

OK in Clause 2.5 it says nothing about "Products" it only says Site and Content. And their definition of content is in Clause 1.1.1 and it says "other than Products". So in order not to infringe on their terms, I headed to download Prevx Home from CNET Download.com at http://www.download.com/Prevx-Home/3000-8022_4-10364927.html

I downloaded the program and read the terms and conditions. No where in the actual terms and conditions in the program itself (in the installer) did it mention about me having to be 18 years or older in the program. So I deem to be what I am doing is LEGAL.

I'm not 18 years or older for your information (I prefer not to disclose my age for security reasons, you'll understand ;) )

So is it LEGAL for me to continue using Prevx Home? I understand that all of you are not lawyers, but I just want your input on this.

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I'll bet that if you emailed and asked them, they wouldn't mind :) This seems like the kind of thing a company would do simply to limit liability in case you installed it on your parent's machine and totally destroyed it somehow. By putting a notice in like that it just puts the responsibility back into the hands of the parents so they can't sue the company. Worst case scenario: you get your parents approval to install Prevx, I wouldn't think that'd be too hard to get.

Since when did teenagers start paying attention to these things, anyway? :D

3. squash

squash Registered Member

Thank you "Notok" for your reply

Yes, I have e-mailed them once about this matter but never got a reply. Maybe that implied that they didn't care and I am allowed to use it :) . I installed Prevx Home and will continue to use it.

I'm not that far off from turning 18 soon, but I like to do things the LEGAL way. I'm not in doing things the illegal way, when there are plenty of free and open source alternatives. :cool: Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.