is prevx 3.0 webroot good enough stand alone scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by winterlord, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winterlord

winterlord Registered Member

was wondering if by itself that prevx is good enough security or not

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Not easy to answer. For some people yes, for others no. I feel comfortable with it by itself. On my parents computer, I would probably want added protection, because my dad will click on just about anything.

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

It's time to move on to Webroot SecureAnywhere. PrevX is now WSA.;)

4. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Its great but i am not confident suggesting it to everyone.
    I have experienced some problems with it like uninstallation issue, no right click scan option etc.

Moreover dependency on net completely is scary since there are lot of times when you plug in USB and you dont have net.

For me, its great. I love the low resource scanner and great customer support.

5. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I have a WSA license but don't use it, mostly because the user interface is a huge mess of options and dialog boxes. I am an advanced user who knows what he is talking about but all those options and boxes of stuff really gets annoying and its way too cluttered to me for something so light on resources. I really don't understand the UI, and it got worse in the latest version,

6. winterlord

well when I bought it fairly recent I thought it was just an anti-virus but prevx got taken over I think and what I got is prevx but guess this one has a firewall and such am wondering if it is enough

7. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

The goal of the UI and the additional messages within it are to encourage users to not change anything or go through the options. You shouldn't have to do anything with WSA, ever, but we still show the advanced options for users that want that level of granularity.

If you have something confusing you in particular, please let me know :)

8. PrevxHelp

Those should have been fixed now, for what it's worth :)

9. PrevxHelp

The choice is yours really - you can run WSA alongside any other security software. Most of our users (myself included) run WSA by itself, but if it helps you feel more comfortable, feel free to layer on more security - nothing is perfect but it depends on the individual user as to if they feel they want to get a second opinion. WSA is light enough to not make a difference in your overall performance over what the other AV would have added, so there isn't much downside.

10. Taliscicero

Its not that anything confuses me. Its just that with my mindset "OCD" the front of the UI and the settings seem very disorganized and sporadic which drives my OCD mind crazy. Examples would be all the text on the front panel with constantly jumping higher counts and digits that are always moving and other various things on the front. Another thing that may just be me is the fact you can get to the same options multiple ways which gets really confusing when your mind likes to work things as a list. I like to methodically go through settings one after another to make sure they are set up the way that i like them, with WSA its frustrating because there are so many ways to get to the same options that I'm re-checking what i have already checked. Maybe its just my compulsions but it really is bothersome.

11. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Thanks for the answer. I would re-install and confirm it.

I do have one query :
    I think its OK to install another AV with WSA. So, I installed eset since it was light. Now, if I turned off eset scanner and download eicar, WSA did not catch it. it was successfully downloaded. I was confused whether WSA is even working or not o_O?
    ( WSA did caught eicar when no other AV was installed )

Any help on this ? How can I be sure that WSA is working along with other AV. Sorry for taking this discussion a bit off topic.

12. clocks

clocks Registered Member

WSA is probably the lightest AV I've seen yet. :thumb:

13. winterlord

what is eicar ?

14. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

15. PrevxHelp

ESET may have still been locking it despite being turned off. Usually, AV drivers will remain in memory. If WSA doesn't scan it on write, it will scan it on-execution before it can cause any harm and block it from running.

16. PrevxHelp

I'm curious as to what duplicate options you're seeing - there are no settings which can be controlled in different places. If you wouldn't mind reinstalling to take a look, I would be very interested in hearing specifically what you're seeing. As for the front screen, we're going to be adding a registry option to disable the incrementing behavior counts from showing on the status screen in the next update.

Thanks!

17. Taliscicero

I can't right now, but if you want sometime I can reinstall and make a list for you of the things I'm talking about. I am basically saying that the program can be more user friendly and not so sporadic, I think the problem is worse for me because I use WSA Complete, which has even more options that I don't really need and just gets jumbled and confusing.

18. PrevxHelp

I'd appreciate any feedback- thanks!

19. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

There is going to be an option to disable the system events tally in a future build; those that wish to leave it, can do so, while others will be able to remove it from view.

20. Taliscicero

Pervxhelp already said that. I can't understand anyone who would want to keep it though. I don't even think it has a purpose, why keep something without a purpose? There is no logical data or anything useful you can take from seeing those number raise, so why not just remove it completely? Things without purpose should not exist in logical products.

21. PrevxHelp

It has multiple purposes- the number is indicative of the volume of system changes, and you can drill down to lower level events beneath to see specifically what's changing (similar to Process Monitor). From the "more detail" screen, you can view every granular system event taking place and double clicking on those, you can block or view information on precisely that event. We use it very often for analyzing threats and for diagnosing incompatibilities or system issues. It also gives visible context to know what's taking place in real-time within WSA.

Hope that helps!

22. Taliscicero

How can a standard user make use of that though. When it was on my computer it was saying hundreds of thousands of system events a second. Nobody will use that, unless they are extremely proficient or bored. It would make sense if you want to keep it to do the reverse in disabling it by default and adding an option to enable it.

23. PrevxHelp

We've had many users who like it and want it as a means of showing what WSA is actually doing in realtime. The standard user doesn't need to open the UI at all so they wouldn't even see the counter- there should be no need to ever open the UI unless you're a technical user wanting to control the product from a granular level. It will otherwise continue working normally and automatically by itself.

24. Taliscicero

Granted, but for me there is something to having complete control over a product but in a way that is simple enough that you don't have to over think what your doing. I guess for me personally the UI could do without the counters and taking all the tabs and sections and just condense them into three logical sections (Protection) (Logging) and (Miscellaneous). I would take the sliders that require about 5 pages and tabs to go through and instead turn then into option boxes where you can click and you get an option for low/med/high/ultra etcetera and so forth. Doing this you could get those whole 5 pages onto a single page with room to spare and it would tidy the GUI up. I could get every protection option in the product on one simple and easy to use tab page instead of many tabs.

Hopefully does not sound like I'm bashing your product design. I am just saying that for me personally it would be better as a single page with boxes instead of sliders that take up many pages.

25. PrevxHelp

Have you seen the configuration page in the 2013 product which is shown when clicking "Settings" beneath the close button? The front page of sliders control all of the underlying options and make it much easier to use than each of the checkboxes/heuristic sliders.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.