Is PE worth buying?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Jimbob1989, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Is PE worth buying? I'm currently using an evaluation version and I cant decide whether to buy it or not.

Jimbob

2. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Definatey! It simply is the best port to process mapping tool available :). Have a read of this article/review and it may help you to decide ;).

Regards,
    Jade.

3. deadheadrjp

deadheadrjp Registered Member

I agree!!!

:D BUY IT NOW! Port Explorer is better than anything else I've used, plus it's afforable for the average person!

4. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

I've been thinking 'bout it as well. It's off my computer now since I had to reformat it.

Not sysadmin, so maybe its an overkill. However, I do get a bit paranoid trying out blackice even with tcpview.

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Each has it's own functionallity. No overkill, it's good for normal end-users too to be aware of hidden connections, being able to determine their legallity and being able to kill them when necessary etc etc, not to forget the bandwidth throttling, and more. Ever tried the full automatic whois? And all in your own language.

6. BourgePD

BourgePD Registered Member

PE, within a nicely designed GUI, pretty much automates all the old network utilities in one package plus for maximum efficiency. It also has a packet sniffer built in. Whether or not it is worth buying is a decision for you to make. :cool:

7. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

When I 1st bought it I only did so for the fun of it. Later I thought it was useless and complained. Since then I have found it to be the best alert system for me that 'something' is using my internet connection 'inadvertently'.

Many times I would notice the connection being used, slowing up my browsing and not knowing what was causing it. Thanks to PE I can quickly check if it is a virus, bug, worm, dialler or a legitimate program in which case I know what's going on. This greatly puts my mind at ease since if I don't like the program using the connection I can find out what it is and delete it. One example is the new ATI control panel. I noticed since installing it, my connection was being used a lot. Checking in PE showed me that it was ATI and so I uninstalled it and downloaded the other version which doesn't take up all these unnecessary resources. This is just one instance but there have been times when I've found a bug and quickly ran my AV and got rid of it.

I like it best out of all the DCS programs because even though at 1st I thought it useless, I now refer to it more than any other DCS program for my peace of mind. I always get worried when my connection is being used and it's not me who's using it and I insist on knowing and consenting to my connection being used remotely so PE gives me more control over what uses my connection. I am now in charge of my downloads not my connection.

NOTE to Pilli & Admin: I really think there ought to be a sticky called 'Why Use Port Explorer' because many people like me are unaware of it's great uses and you can add this post to it. I always have PE on standby in case I notice the connection lights on for a long period and check to see if it's not something malicious or unneeded. It's just fantastic for my peace of mind. A must have.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks Dave, If you start such a thread I can most certsainly make it sticky.

Maybe you could start it with your comments from the last post? :)

Cheers. Pilli

9. worldcitizen

Done!

How are you Pilli? Haven't heard anything about any imminent DCS releases have you? Really looking forward to TDS 4 soon I hope.

Dave

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I will not tease you. All I'll say is that there is much work going on in Perth & you will not get more information until DCS are ready to give it. :D

Here is a link to your Is Port Explorer worth buying thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=64216

Many thanks - Pilli :)

11. worldcitizen

Thanks for the link and for not rubbing it in. I am not privy to all that goes on in DCS but it's been a long time in between TDS & Wormguard drinks.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.