Is one click protection dangerous?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vermifax, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vermifax

vermifax Registered Member

First time user poking around with ATI 2009.

Looking at the one click protection. It appears to schedule a full backup run once a week by default.

Am I correct in thinking that it overwrites the old backup file while running, meaning if your HD should fail while the backup is running you are SOL?

If this is correct I'm going to have to go with another option. Is it possible to have it create 2 full backups and switch between the two within the tool? Can this be emulated with incremental + consolidation ie 1 full backup 1 incremental, when you hit 2 incremental consolidate.

If I use incremental + consolidation to keep disk space low, am I hosed if the HD dies during consolidation?

My goal is to have a valid disk image even if the disk dies during a backup and to have only 1 current image because I have only about enough space for 2 full copies of my full backup on my external drive.

2. Vlad V

Vlad V Registered Member

Yes, you're right – one-click protection overwrites the old backup file.
    As to getting your goal, you'll need to create 2 backup tasks a week apart.
    1) At the "Scheduling" step while configuring the first backup task, select "Weekly", set "Run the task every 2 weeks", then select a day of week for your backup and set the start time.
    2) At the "Backup method" step choose the Full method.
    3) A week later create the second backup task with the same settings as the first one.
    Caution: When creating the second task, make sure that the target archive name differs from the archive name assigned in the first task, because if the names are identical the backups created by the second task will overwrite those created by the first one.
    Each task will run every two weeks overwriting a two-week old backup, but you will always have a week-old backup even if the source disk dies during a backup.

3. vermifax

vermifax Registered Member

Thank you very much!

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vermifax,

The thing is that at first place Acronis True Image Home 2009 creates new full back and only after that deletes previous full backup, so in case your computer crashes during this procedure you will have full backup anyway. It will be either initial backup or second full backup. So in this case to store one full backup you will need space for two full backup archives.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.