Is NOD32v3 + CFP3 adequate?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by bracesandbelt, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bracesandbelt

bracesandbelt Registered Member

Hi

I've been using NOD32 for a couple of years now, with Comodo as my software firewall. 99%+ of the time I am also behind a router firewall.

Until last week I ran NOD32 v2.x and CF v2. So I also ran some form of anti-spyware or malware (at various times, SpybotS&D, AVG, Prevx2, PrevxCSI and a couple of others I forget). I've now just changed over to NOD32 v3 plus CFP v3 and with the extended scope of these two am wondering whether I should add anything else or not.

I've read through the forums and have read enough comments that these 2 apps together are adequate that I'm tending toward that. If I do need to add anything, the AS/M that seems to be most favoured is Superantispyware, and some people also suggest going with OA rather than CFP. But what would I actually gain from adding/changing these? And what might I lose?

Frankly, I hadn't realised that either app had extended in the way it has before I installed. So I had been intending to try out DefenseWall, based on some tests I saw last year. If I do try DW, would this have any meaningful benefit?

'ppreciate any advice ;)

2. Snarl

Snarl Registered Member

I use NOD32 and Comodo Firewall Pro 3 however I also run SuperAntiSpyware as a back-up. I think however that running just those two would be sufficient. If your not going to run a dedicated Spyware scanner it probably would be a good idea to run Spybot periodically to scan.

3. bracesandbelt

Thanks Snarl ;) . How often do you run SAS, and has it caught anything that the NOD/CFP pair have missed?

4. stratoc

stratoc Guest

5. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I use NOD V3 and Comodo V3 with SAS as a back up scanner. SAS never finds anything bar the odd cookie, and I mean the odd cookie-2 or 3 at most and I only scan once a month.

NOD rarely pops up with anything either. I think I've had three alerts in my 2 years and they were web alerts. I think that's down to Sandboxie myself.

I use Cookie Culler for Firefox and that's brilliant.
    Spyware blaster is installed.

If I ever browse to the dark corners of the web I do it in Sandboxie.

All in all it's very light on resources and I'm very happy with it.

6. dr pan k

dr pan k Registered Member

its pretty obvious that many users in wilders sec forum use nod32 v3+ comodo fw v3+ sas on demand. 2/3 r free and its a really great combo.

sas will mostly find cookies and if u actually use D+ (hips of comodo) its allmost perfect.

(and yes, i m one of those using this combo). go 4 it :thumb:

7. bracesandbelt

thanks for the further info folks.

with my present setup i actually delete all cookies at least once per day, as i use firefox for my main browser and have it set to clear all private data on shut down. of course, this doesn't deal with flash tracking, but anyway....

i'll install sas and see over time what it catches :) .

as for the option of something like sandboxie, would this be the best such app to run with NOD32CFP? any others worth comparing with?

incidentally, i will also be adding utimaco encryption to my hdd soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.