Is NOD32 better than Kaspersky?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by shadowatcher, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

OK with me, but wanna bet that the NOD vs KAV debate continues ad infinitum?

Acadia

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I was a kav user before I used nod32. I have been using nod32 for some time now due to it being so lite on resources plus being a good av. Though yesturday I decided to go back to kav pro 5.0388 due to the testing done at av-comparatives, yet I was wrong. When I switched to nod32, at startup, my free memory would be around 715 - 720 MB and now when I switched to kav pro 5.0388, my free memory at startup is from 680 - 690 MB. It seems that kav pro 5.0388 uses 27+ MB from the start in my system, when others state it is down to around 10 MB or so, guess not in my system. So , kav pro might be just a bit better than nod32 percentage wise, but I don't like it being a huge resource hugger, so I am back to nod32. I will leave kav pro only as a scanner for now, maybe kav 6 when its final will be better, but not now. Also I am using LnS firewall and I am not sure, but I think kav pro conflicts with LnS. I would get a bunch of unread and unwrite errors and my computer would go wild when I would open up firefox, though this would happen randomly not everytime and all I know is that it was with lsass.exe file - never got that with nod32 though.

dja2k

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Some Kav users have reported that Kav starts a little high at startup and then settles down later on. Still it looks like you have lots of memory to spare. Plus IBK says all the Av's that have the Advanced + rating are equal to each other for all practical purposes. I'm paraphrasing here and he can correct me if Iv'e misquoted. How much does NOD use on your system after start up? Remember there are two processes running for NOD. But if you are having problems with other installed software thats a good reason to switch back to NOD which I use. I'm at 16072K for both processes combined with NOD according to Windows Task Manager.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I am at 16356 K combined with nod32 though nod32 starts lower like in the 10000 K not like KAV, which on my system started right off the bat at 27000 K or so and I did see it grow more than that, never saw it lower than 27000 K though. Also KAV's internet scanner seemed a bit more slower than nod32's - I noticed that by the response time in opening firefox and load times. Not to mention those other odd read and write errors I got with KAV, maybe it conflicted with something I am running, not really sure. And I am not saying KAV is bad in any way before some starts arguing my points, which are cleaerly stated with what I encountered.

dja2k

5. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

The whole memory usage thing between various AVs sure is confusing as it seems to be very different for different systems. When I trialed nod32 on my system I noticed it was always using over 27mb of ram, while I see alot of others reporting about half that to even more. However while it was using 27mb of ram it was feeling very peppy and light so it didn't seem to make any difference really since it was apparently running quite nicely without any apparent drag that I could tell or would expect for that amount of ram usage. After test driving some other AVs I finally decided on Avast! Pro and adding up all the services it runs resident on my system it appears to average about 21 to 24mb of ram or slightly less than nod32 did. However while it is not a hog or significant drag to my system, it does have a slightly noticeable slowdown than nod32 did. Really strange to me but again not anything really significant.

6. The Hammer

You are comparing the 64 bit editions are you not? There may be more memory usage by both Avast and NOD compared to their 32 bit counterparts I don't know.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  7. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Yes your correct, I was trialing the x64 versions of AVs and not the x32 sso maybe thats the difference.

8. Cyber Surfer

Cyber Surfer Registered Member

Yep, you were right!

9. The Hammer

Problem? KAv needs a 64 bit version so we can compare that to NOD and kick it up a notch.

10. GoD

GoD Registered Member

You should have given KAV some time to scan the files for the first time atleast.. i am using KAV and LnS no problem at all.

Seems that didnt want to change ur AV at first place.. so u went ahead installed KAV and directly treid to look the bad parts just to mentally feel better and go back to ur previous AV.
    My point is that if you want to test a product you must give it time and learn how to deal with it.
    Here is KAV Pro 5.0.388 on my pc
    http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/2216/kav1b8ff.png
    When i first started using KAV it used 20MB + now its just flowing between 10 and below as u can see. thats with the recommended settings applied and more (network protection disabled)
    Your only mistake is that you didnt give KAV enough time.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

what about virtual memory usage? also is that rele KAV? looks unfamiliar to me.

12. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

The ram-usage will go up & down with Kav 5, on mine it always start at 27mb or thereabouts and the longer i use the pc, the more it drops, currently at 1.7mb & 11mb for both processes, but sometimes it will go further down, 8mb combined are the lowest i've seen. :)

13. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

Nod32 is for older computer and not the bets antivirus protection.

Kaspersky newer computer and bets antivirus for detection, removel and protection.

if u want the best protection get kav if u want good protection but not hvy on resources get nod32.

14. waters

waters Registered Member

There must be 2 kasperskys.The one i used was not heavy on resources

15. WSFuser

whether an antivirus is heavy or light, is relative to the person using it and his or her system.

16. chaos16

it not high on resources coz ur computer spec are new and good enough.

if u have good hardware then u wont notice kaspersky as hvy on resopurces.

For me i have a new computer amd 64 3200+ and 1gb ram.

i am a person that wants the best protection there is so i go for kaspersky antivirus if u have a old computer then yes go for nod32 but u wont have the best protection 2 date.

kaspersky gives the best protection 2 date but u need a new computer well u don't but if u have a old computer u will find it a bit slow i don't find it slow but that my computer diffrent computers are diffrent.

all i can say is trial the both but for best protection go for kaspersky. :D

17. waters

waters Registered Member

I agree,so why do i keep seeing,kav is heavy ,nod is light ,norton is bloated etc,try them out and see for yourself.Why people ask is nod better then kav etc,nearly everyday,on a site with a nod forum is beyond me

18. chaos16

if u mean by better in protection then its kav.

Look

Kav = best protection a bit slow for old pc's

Nod32 = good protection and lighter than most antiviruses.

i thinks that's clear enough i don't think there is need for any more kaspersky vs nod32 any more :)

19. WSFuser

thats true but in the words of Acadia:

20. izi

izi Registered Member

KAV detect this with heuristics.

Attached Files:

• 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      20.5 KB
      Views:
  21. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Simply put and in my opinion....

KAV= Best detection for known threats. (Mostly due to its large signature database).

NOD32= Best detection for unknown threats. (Due to its advanced heuristics).

22. The Hammer

Your a hard man chaos as the difference between the two in any category in the latest On Demand test at Av-Comparatives was miniscule. Also NOD beat KAV handily the latest Retrospective test. So it appears you KAV boys have yet to make a convincing case for clear superiority. Nice screenshots though iZi. :D

23. rothko

rothko Registered Member

I agree with this summary, and this is backed up by the AV Comparative On-demand and Proactive tests, which seem well respected at Wilders. Though there's no substitute for 'trying before you buy'.

24. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I think NOD32 users should worry about the "known" threats before placing stock in the "unknown"........

Didn't AV-Comparatives on demand test use NOD32 heuristics ?

25. The Hammer

I believe that was done for the Retrospective test. And NOD handles the known quite well as it has an Advanced + rating just like KAV. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.