Is my update working?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by rollers, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Is it me? Or are we not getting regular updates at the moment. I keep checking but it keeps saying it is up to date. The latest radius update I have is dated 18.01.05. I just want to confirm whether or not my tds has gone "tits up" or whether it is correct. If it is correct then we must be due some more updates surely, or a release of TDS4?

Will be greatful of a reply to put my mind at rest

Rollers

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Rollers, ;)

Try updating your update config. file (update.cfg), It's located in the main TDS folder. Open it with notepad, delete the contents, and copy and paste the text from the quote below, and re-save it.

The contents should look like this:
    The latest update is :
    Update for 04-02-2005: 46163 references - 22101 primaries/11916 traces/12146 variants/other

If it still doesn't work, manually update from - http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=update - and let us know the out come in a follow up post, and someone from DCS will respond; if required. (Note: It's the weekend so a response won't come earlier than Monday.)

HTH, ;)

Steve

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

I have:
    09:47:56 [Init] • Systems Initialised [46163 references - 22101 primaries/11916 traces/12146 variants/other]
    09:47:56 [Init] Radius Systems loaded. <Databases updated 04-02-2005>

and that is exactly the same as what Gavin posted here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=64949

---Quotes---
    TDS-3 Daily Update - 04-02-2005, 146 added

Update for 04-02-2005: +146 references (+139 primaries)

[46163 references - 22101 primaries/11916 traces/12146 variants/other]

--- end quotes ---

4. rollers

Hi thanks for your replies.

I tried as suggested but to no avail. So in the end I got drastic, uninstalled TDS, deleted the folder and then reinstalled. All is fine now.

Thanks for your time.

Regards Rollers

5. BiG~BuLL

BiG~BuLL Registered Member

TY dog did everything you said to do and my TDS-3 is updating fine ...Once again bro TY ... PEACE :D

6. rollers

Ok, I got the download working again ok after reinstalling again, but now the references count is at 44350 and not the 46000 odd as shown on the tds site. Otherwise it is working ok. Anyone got any ideas?

There are no problems only solutions

7. dog

dog Guest

Hi Rollers,

It's happening either because the server you are retrieving the update from hasn't been updated properly -or- your ISP's server has cached an older update file.

To try and get it resolved:

Alter the config. file (update.cfg) in the TDS folder ... by re-arranging the order. ie. Copy 'n paste for example this line - http://radius.turvamies.com/radius.td3 and paste it above the regular TDS update. Then delete the line you just copied from, including the blank space left behind.

It would then look like this: Once re-saved, try the TDS updater again. ;)

HTH, ;)

Steve

8. rollers

I tried the above but when I saved the update folder and restarted it TDS would not recognise that folder,coming up with an error message. It was saving as a notepad instead of CFG file.
    I then did a manual update, and it came up with the correct amount of references...............great I thought. Then when I did an automatic update, it updated again and went back to 44,000 references. Weird. I have done another manual update for now to get back to 46000 odd. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks Rollers

9. rollers

I just downloaded the latest update server list from tds and installed that...........it did exactly the same on auto download, shows the latest database as 6.02 but only 44350 references. As soon as I do a manual download it goes back to the correct 46000 odd. I am lost with it now, awaiting someone to point me in the right direction.

Thanks Rollers

10. dog

dog Guest

You have to change the extension back to .cfg from .txt manually.

To do so, after you have updated the contents and saved it as a text file: Right-click the text file and select rename ... change .txt to .cfg ... a confirmation window will popup asking you if you want to change the extension - Choose "Yes". ;) ... the file will now be called update.cfg

HTH, ;)

Steve

11. rollers

Thanks very much, not quite sure what I did differently, but your advice worked. This little problem sent me around the twist today ( I was nearly there anyway)

Thanks very much for your time, all is now working very well.

Rollers

12. dog

dog Guest

That's Good, Congratulations. ;)

I'm glad everything is up and running/updating as it should ... Now, you have the solution should this ever happen to appear again. :) ... and that's a nice feeling. :)

Regards;

Steve

13. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Why don't the developers of TDS-3 consider the occasional "breaking down" of the auto-update feature a bug?

I mean, it's been there for over a year already, I get hit by it at least twice a year and it always requires manual intervention.

Isn't the point of automatic protection that it is automatic?

Sorry if this feels like a silly question, but I think it is warranted, considering the reoccurence of this problem and the nature of the software (security application with automatic updates).

14. gunnarj

gunnarj Registered Member

Meanwhile, if one downloads the "latest" up-to-date server list (update.cfg) here: http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=update

and then uses the internal TDS updating (automatic update) one still gets this:

[46163 references - 22101 primaries/11916 traces/12146 variants/other]

One would think that the least that could be done for this ongoing problem is to keep an updated server list at the TDS website where it tells us we need an updated server list in order to use the Automatic Update Program for TDS successfully.

I think this is a priority request.

Thanks much,

gunnarj

15. mainer

mainer Registered Member

Thank You Dog, I was having the same problem.

16. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Broken again.

I downloaded latest radius.td3 on 16th of Feb 2005 and haven't gotten a single update since (either automatically or manually from TDS with CTRL+U).

I could only "fix" this by downloading the latest database with my web browser and replacing the old one with the new.

So, do I have to keep downloading the latest radius.td3 with my browser and manually moving it to the TDS-3 directory?

I really think this needs to be fixed.

This is completely inexcusable for a security application with an automatic update feature.

Either fix it or rename it "randomly working semi-update" :)

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You might like to move another mirror in the update.cfg to the first place?

18. gunnarj

gunnarj Registered Member

19. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

My update fails most of the time. I have tried suggestions here - which only work for a while and then fail the next day. I have given up even running TDS now. Not worth the trouble.... and no indication as to when TDS4 is out (since V4 should overcome the update bug)

20. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/radius.td3
    http://radius.turvamies.com/radius.td3
    ftp://ftp.pc-techie.info/tds/radius.td3
    http://tds.wiretapped.us/radius.td3
    http://fractus.mat.uson.mx/~tds/radius.td3
    http://www.toonbox.de/tds/radius.td3
    http://diamondcs.fileburst.com/radius.td3

I change the order at times between #1 and #2 for instance. Really seldom have problems (knock on wood). Guess in some cases ISP's caches are responsible a bit too, maybe worth to have the update not immediately around 12 noon but several hours later.

21. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

With two licensed copies unfortunately I am experiencing the same problems and believe halcyon's decription of "randomly working semi-update" is pretty accurate. I have now updated one pc by manually downloading the latest radius files and then installing them. While this is not complicated, it is time consuming and should not be necessary for an automated update system. As others have mentioned, having to manually change the update server entries by the user is another process that should be avoided. Having gone through all of these processes several times already on two different pc, I think this should be improved quickly.
    Comparing how easily other programs update without any user intervention (Nod, Avast), it should not even be necessary having to press an update button to initiate the process in TDS assuming all the other issues do not prevent an update.

22. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Long years all went well, it's the recent times more often mirrors are confused, not sure if it is caused by those mirrors or by the ISPs there or user's ISPs, can be anywhere.
    If you're manually updating from the site, you could consider to have that same one in position #1 in your update file as logn as it goes.

23. tamquocchi

tamquocchi Registered Member

Yes, there is issue with hosting tds-db updates, just now. I just get wrong (who knows what it is) the update at the site www.toonbox.de/tds/radius.td3 - Please take a look at the pix (attachment) and post what you got with the update. Anyone got the same like this?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

24. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Possibly the biggest problem is that there are no Incremental Updates. As the file grows larger, the bandwidth that has to be provided becomes ridiculous, at least for me with only a dial-up at 26.4kbps. It's been suggested before, but now DCS should drop all other work and implement the IU. The mirror sites and the users would benefit and could at least see something usefully new in TDS, even if it's not the *long* awaited TDS-4.
    That's my $2.02.
    Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.