Is my setup sufficient?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ShaneR34, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

Yep, another one on "these" questions. :p

I haven't been running any security software for the last year (other than my router's firewall). I could never deal with the intrusiveness of security software. I would just download and do an on-demand scan every month (and then delete the program). I've never had a problem.

But, lately I've felt the need to be more secure for whatever reason. Found my way here and here is my current setup as of this morning:

1) Router with firewall active (wireless security enabled/mac filtering)
    2) Eset Smart Security
    3) Threatfire
    4) Sandboxie

The last two may be overkill "for me", but everything is running light and fast on my Vista system. Plus, I've just learned about the sandbox concept this past week, so it's kinda..er...fun to play around with it.

I'm a fairly safe surfer 95% of the time, so I think this setup is more than enough. What do you think?

If anything, my wireless network is the weak link--I have problems running WPA security with my Girlfriend's system, so I'm only running WEP(router/modem combo supplied by ISP). I am thinking about adding a new router...

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'd agree.
    If you're having issues running WPA, it would probably be worthwhile addressing that gap. However, if WPA is supported at both ends and you're seeing problems, a new router may not be the fix.

Blue

3. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

Thanks, Blue.

Now that you say that, I think the main problem I had with WPA (it's been a year and half since I tried) was the Linksys wireless USB adapter I have on my girlfriends xp system. I believe it was fine with my Dell mini-card in my laptop. I'll have another look at it soon.

Thanks,

Shane.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I think you security aprroach is very good and Imo opinion I would not add anything else.The only thing I would address is the WPA issue if at all possiable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.