Is my NOD32 AV legitimate or a bootleg?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by registered, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. registered

registered Registered Member

I bought a Win 7/Ultimate machine from a reseller a couple of years ago. It has NOD32 an old version of 4.0.437 on it. I was expecting that I needed to buy a new license once a year. But this puppy never squawks about that. And I click on 'check license validity" and it sez 'cant verify check and make sure you entered a valid username and password and check back later". So I contacted Support through the interface "contact customer care" and they keep telling me I'm fine. The problem is, and I suspect it's Christmas time at Eset, is that I have a second license and they don't understand that. Is there something I can screenshot for the experts to look at or is it possible I have a lifetime ESET nod32 license? (which I find hard to believe)

and it does update the virus definition database everyday

thanks all and good holidays

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

ESET US support will be open tomorrow AM - call them - 619-876-5400

if you need to buy a license - call a reseller! ;)

3. er34

er34 Guest

There is no such thing as lifetime license for ESET products.

It is either you have a valid license (for 1,2, 3 or 5 years) - a license which still hasn't expired, or there is some crack which loads keys from time to time.

Can you open the ESET product interface, then click F5 from the keyboard to open the Advanced setup tree, then go to Update and see your license username?

Like this one:
    http://kb.eset.com/library/ESET/KB%20Team%20Only/SOLN2206/updatewin_s2.gif

Additionally, if you go to Control Panel -> Programs and features
    what ESET or NOD related programs do you see listed?

Then, you can contact ESET support , or send a private message to ESET staff/mod (Marcos, agoretsky, etc) here so that they check your license and provide you information about it and its validity .

4. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

In your reply to the case you created, attach pictures or screenshots that might help point the customer care agents in the right direction. It would also help to include all relevant contact/license info so they can find your second license and merge all of your licenses under the same customer record.

Once they are able to verify your current license information, I'd recommend upgrading to the latest version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus

Also, just to clarify, ESET North America only sells home licenses for 1 or 2 years.

5. registered

That's the reason why I'm here. Customer care doesn't understand. I have one license on another machine. It's this machine I'm wondering about. They just see my email address and just figure I'm OK..I gave up on Customer Care. So let's see if there are some REAL ESET people running this forum

So here is from the interface..Thought this one was interesting where it says "upgrade to full version' .(What's full version?)

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/8700/esets.jpg

And then here is where I click on 'check license validity"

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4266/esetlicense.jpg

I just want to know if I have a valid lifetime license. And yes I know you told me there is no such thing as lifetime licenses. In 6 months it will be three years I have owned this machine

Regards and thanks for responses

6. er34

er34 Guest

There is no such thing as a lifetime license. 3 years is too much for USA, as mentioned by dwomack.

Your screenshots show that you have old version - old "trial" version with no license entered. In ESET products license means username and password - they are obviously missing.

I have some years experience with ESET products and if your ESET product updates with no username/password entered (as shown in the screenshots), I am 99.99% sure this is cracked/pirated version - not original, not legitimate.

What you can do is to report to ESET the company/reseller you paid for pirated versions. Additionally, I'd recommend you uninstall this version you have, use the ESET uninstaller tool in Safe Mode. After reboot, go to Control Panel -> Programs and features and in the list of installed programs check for something left related to NOD or ESET crack/fix - uninstall it, too.

Finally, install another legitimate AV or better, install latest ESET NOD32 version - original 30 day trial from www.eset.com/download. You can even try version 6 - http://www.eset.com/download/beta-versions/detail/family/148/fileflag/beta/

When your trial version expires, think about purchasing real license from legitimate reseller or from ESET directly . webyourbusiness who posted earlier (see above posts) is legitimate USA/CA reseller of ESET - very good person and company.

7. registered

Don't trial versions come with the normal 30 day try or buy? As for the reseller, it was one of those small computer shops but I don't think it would be a good idea to accuse him of selling Nod32 with a cracked license unless I could prove it.

Lastly, in one of your first responses, you stated that Eset sold 1,2,3 and 5 year licenses but a Mod had to 'correct' you on that. I'd like to see what a Mod has to say about my last post and pictures

Thanks and I'll probably end up uninstalling and buying a new license. I can afford it just wondering about my current one

8. webyourbusiness

if you need a license from our online store - I recommend sooner rather than later - the "special deals" are likely to be discontinued within a relatively short period of time.

9. webyourbusiness

thank you!

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

there is a "crack" for eset which keeps it perpetually in trial mode, otherwise known as a trial resetter. i suspect that could be what is going on *IF* you are still getting updates on this machine and in trial mode. i am not saying this is what you have for sure but it can be checked. im sure eset can check for this crack if you ask them to and explain you bought it this way. i will not post more info on this here though as i do not condone its use at all.

11. er34

er34 Guest

Your screenshots proved that the version is most probably cracked.

I am from Europe and here there are 5 year licenses - for special clients and special cases - not for your case. dwomack is from ESET USA - he did not correct me but added that in USA there are only 1 or 2 year licenses. The 5 year licenses (as well as ANY ESET license) come with username and password - this is not in your case.

OK. Just see zfactor's post - he confirms my post about the version being perpetually in trial mode. This is your case most likely.

You are welcome ! Have a nice new year 2013! :thumb:

12. webyourbusiness

Guys - stop bickering - the ESET mod correctly states that there are no ESET HOME EDITION 3-year licenses or longer.

There are ESET BUSINESS licenses in 3 year options.

and a business username/password can be used to get updates in a home software installation - but this isn't what was shown here - this version is updating without a username and password - there is no way to do that without it being bad copy.... even if there is a license in this customer's name - this installation is pirated - no username/password means NO LICENSE IS INSTALLED... and that is itself a breach of the terms of use of the software.... whoever installed this or installed the "fix" to break it in this way broke the rules or worse.

This installation is a "fixed" or pirated version of the software - the photos show that.

Even a "trial" installs a trial username/password.

13. registered

Alright, fine..Where's the special uninstaller tool like most AV companies have? I was looking around the ESET site and I don't see one.

14. er34

er34 Guest

15. registered

Yeah I saw that in your earlier reply about fix/crack and I don't see anything. the uninstaller you reference sez it might wreck my network connections. Has that ever happened to you?

16. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Not for me, ever. On the few occasions it was used.

17. er34

er34 Guest

Me, too - never. Neither to me, neither to my friends, colleagues, clients.

18. registered

OK, thanks to all for their feedback- I did the windows uninstaller, then looked in the registry and still saw eset entries and then did the uninstaller from safe mode as suggested by er and all went well!!

And proceeded to buy a new license from webyourbusiness and that went flawlessly

Thanks again :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.