Is my HD in the safezone or not?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by GES/POR, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

According to HD Tune my hd's healthstatus is good but after doing a long scan for errors it came up with a bunch of damaged blocks. Do i need to rma it or is it normal to have a bunch of damaged blocks?

http://i47.tinypic.com/2upr2nd.png

Cheers,

Ges

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Some damaged blocks are acceptable over a period of time (years of use). Use WD diagnostic util to check it further. Also keep a close eye on the hard drive, the moment it starts slowing down or finding more bad blocks ask for RMA. I assume you already have a backup of any important data on that drive

3. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Ahhh snap, i actually did this test with a purpose as my pc started going real slow the last few days (reinstalled windows to no avail, even the reinstall was slow as hell) so my hd is dying on me or can i fix it myself?

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It would be nice if we could fix hd ourselves but we can't :) Of course you can ran various utils (hd regenerator, spinrite etc) but those only are there to buy extra time to backup the data

If you've noticed a slowdown + reported errors then the hd is on its way out. Only a matter of time.

5. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Take it from a self-proclaimed "Expert" in the computing industry.. Replace the disk. Especially since this seemed to happen suddenly, recently, right?

Don't even bother using HDDregenerator or SpinRite. Back up your data and get the hell out.

6. Sir paranoids

Sir paranoids Registered Member

drives dieing though iv seen worse, backup data asap and keep using it till it dies if you want.i would ;) and iv seen worse

7. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

In my opinion, replace the drive. You don't want to risk data loss, especially now that hard drives are relatively cheap.

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Monitor it. I've had some drives kicking about with 3 or 4 bad sectors each and never gained more bad sectors.
    If it continuously goes up over, there is a problem - you definitely don’t want to run out of spare sectors before warranty period is over. If this looks likely, RMA it for sure.

I would also check for read/write errors in the smart stats, this for me (having replace/upgraded over a dozen drives recently) has been a clearer indicator of drive failure, these should not go up often (allowing for the odd physical knock/glitch).

Cheers, Nick.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  9. Sir paranoids

Sir paranoids Registered Member

i remember having a buddy from when back when that had this old external 60meg hdd that was as big as a phone book 286 sx 22mgz computer.
    you should have seen the psu for it,when they said 200 watts they meant it,i could have mig welded with the thing if i wanted and it would never give out unlike the psu they make now that are total rubbish.

lol the hdd would spawn bad sectors like you wouldn't believe on a daily basis.

he had to reinstall win 3.11 like ever week cus of that.
    then it was just a mater of time before the BSOD would reach epic levels and well reinstall once more ;)

hdd you to cost piles you know like most pc hardware back in the day,now its dirt cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.