is MS xp sp2 safe?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by notageek, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Is it safe to install it now? Any known major bugs that will kill a system? Worth installing?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. notageek

Thanks ronjor. I have the sp2 disk here and I might install it.

4. still_longhorn

still_longhorn Registered Member

I read somewhere in this forum that SP2 can be a problem if not done on a clean system...

5. notageek

THnaks. I changed my mind on installing SP2 for the time being. I need to wait to read all the problems (if any) that everyone is having.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

notageek....I feel that SP2 is not any different than any other software update and many of the problems individuals are having could have been avoided if they would have followed what Microsoft suggested before installing. While the steps they layed out does not mean problems want arise....it has been my experience....that if a PC has not been maintained properly....individual users will run into problems no matter what software is being updated.

What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2

7. notageek

Thanks.

8. Bill2r

Bill2r Guest

LOL, I always find it amusing that people who are willing to run out and install whatever new geek-wiz firewall,AV,AT,regcleaner,hackertool, leaktool etc posted here actually is scared of running an authorised MS highly recommended patch

:)

9. notageek

Never said I was scared. I said I would wait. I think theirs a big difference there don't you? Oh and by the way I don't go out and install all the new apps that come out. I feel that MS don't have the power over me and if I feel like installing an app from them I will when the time is right. Just becuase you want to be a MS bot don't mean everyone else has to. I will stop at this point because I don't want to go too far and get in any trouble for going to far. Have a nice day Bill2r

10. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I fully agree with the consideration you are taking about the install as I am one to 'ponder' before installing anything which may upset a smoothly running OS.

The actual install of SP2 on my PC and my laptop went fine. I was very worried about the install as I had read about various reports but once I decided to go ahead I wondered what I had worried about. I had to make the decision as on our forum we needed to be able to help others so maybe this was good for me.

If I had left it and read all the posts about the bad experiences I must admit I would not have SP2 today. Thankfully my OS had only recently be re-installed on a new HD and everything worked fine. Just make sure you have a good clean (ie no viruses/trojans or spy/malware) check out the program and hardware lists just in case you need updated drivers. A good defrag before and after and hopefully you too will be wondering just what you worried about ;)

I am very cautious about installs and uninstalls therefore do know why you have made this post.

11. notageek

I installed SP2 and it's running smoothly. I backed up all my data just to be on the safe side. ;)

12. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I'd like to say this about that:

I havent installed sp2 yet because I don't see any benefits that make it worth it to me to familiarize myself with a whole new truckload of idiotic microsoft jargon. I still need a program to recognize most of the services, processes, system tools, settings, ect...

Ron said something interesting about microsoft having made SP2 configurable so it won't constantly bug you. Well that's great, but I don't want to be bothered with figuring out how to stop being bothered. I have killed virtually every helpful idiot nag from the puppydog animation, to autofilling in forms, and lauching messenger, to the talking paper clip in word, and brother, I do not look forward to doing it again.

Its nice that it can be configured not to bug you, but why can't it just come set not to bug you?

I finally have XP trained. I am going to relax and enjoy it for a while

-HandsOff

13. Bill2r

Bill2r Guest

You didn't have to.

Because? You were scared.

Sure you do. Explains all the applications running on your computer now.

MS bot?

14. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.