Is McAfee Virus by AOL any good?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acr45, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr45

acr45 Registered Member

Is anybody using the new mcafee virus program by AOL? and if so is it any good? I'm using Avira right now but the updates are not working and if I can't troubleshoot this I was thinking about switching to this instead.

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

3. The One

The One Frequent Poster

It is ok and will keep you safe. I would suggest using another free AV such as Avira

4. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

AOL was better when it used the Kaspersky engine.
    Just try and see what it does for you

5. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

My first impression of it that it was noticeably slower than any other product I've tried. The program startup is slow, and the UI response generally feels sluggish. Though to be fair, the machine I was trialing it on only had 256MB RAM, so your mileage may vary. There are some irritating flaws in the product as well, most notably the lack of a command to empty the quarantine and event logs, and the inability to manually quarantine a file.

On the good side, the product comes with a decent firewall for a suite, has some system hardening features called SystemGuards (which monitor for changes to critical system areas and offer to block or allow said changes), and is overall the whole McAfee package minus some parental controls or some such that I'd rather do without anyway. Not at all bad for a free product, if you've got the system specs to handle it.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Any anti-virus is ok, the only question is what the price is:

- How annoying it is.
    - How many services it installs.
    - How much memory and cpu it eats.
    - How it interferes with work, games, scripting etc.
    - Who makes it - I wouldn't touch anything AOL.

Mrk

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

mcafee is fine, i dont know why it gets slagged-off so much.

they have surely improved, and latest results show this, their software is not as heavy as it once was either, they are a big player and things are improving.

its not kaspersky?... pfft, not every AV has to be a kaspersky clone to be any good at protecting its users.

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Over the last year, or so, McAfee has dropped out of the top tier in terms of detection. You can see this at AV-Comparatives, or just about any other test.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

since when has 93% or whatever not been a top tier antivirus?

these are the dangers of IBK's tests, as they label the good vs the bad, anything lower than the highest scores are considered to be not a top tier antivirus.

10. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

The firewall is not stealthed with default settings. It needs turning up before it passes...

On the first scan it found a false positive as well. Not impressed overall, best to stick with Avast/Avira + Comodo etc in my opinion..

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  11. acr45

acr45 Registered Member

I guess my real question altogether was is McAfee BETTER than the free AntiVir. I'm guessing it's not but is it a pretty good alternative? and about the firewall that comes with it.......I really don't care about that since I'm using Comodo, I'm just interested in how well their anti-virus performs.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Look here any rated standard or above are good AVs, and as you can see McAfee did very well. Click on Comparatives and the August report.

13. acr45

acr45 Registered Member

I see that AVG is better than McAfee. Wouldn't AVG be a better choice? Does the free version of their anti-virus have a same effectiveness as their paid version?

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the fact is,

'which is better' is not allowed.

and IBK's tests welcome these posts....

really nasty angry annoying comments deleted*

15. IBK

IBK AV Expert

why "IBK's tests"?
    you could also argue that McAfee passed more VB tests than Grisoft or that AVG scored in AV-Test.de tests higher than McAfee.

*really nasty angry annoying comments deleted

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, all tests.... dont get bitchy with me sunny jim :)

they do welcome these sort of posts, and then they all just get deleted. o_O

17. IBK

IBK AV Expert

what you see is just that AVG Anti-Malware scored one level higher than McAfee in one on-demand test.

only you can answer this question after trying the product by yourself on your PC and evaluating the various aspects on your "list".

In most tests you see AVG Anti-Malware tested. AVG Anti-Malware scores much better than AVG Free or AVG Pro. So, no the free version is not as good as the paid version regarding malware detection.

18. interstate ron

interstate ron Registered Member

Artfully answered!

19. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

AVG Free lacks ad/spyware detection and the Ewido engine (better detection of backdoors, zombies, etc)

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

here is the answer to your question. Yes, Avira has update problems, that is a gimme. I do use McAfee and it is very good, so good that it is certified for, not only detecting, but cleaning to by the Icsa labs. And some may discount that validity of certification, but it is a biggy for me. That is why I left other vendors. So go trial it and see for yourself.

21. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I also noticed that when I used an older version of VirusScan for many years on a 333 MHz system with 160MB. The AV icon usually was the last thing to pop into the system tray and I ALWAYS had to wait until it showed up or risk freezing my system if I tried to do something before it did. :gack:

22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I used VirusScan personal edition before and now using enterprise edition. I do feel that there is an remarkable difference between these two. Enterprise one would give users much less problems. In addition to that, I have a same feeling towards McAfee's firewall as well (personal firewall vs. enterprise desktop firewall). If this is true, why ?

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the thing with me was the install. Now it did seem a lifetime to get it to set up, configure and reboot. But once I did and did a defrag, it ran pretty smooth. But the install was like giving birth.

Err, ahem, not that I know what it is like to give birth. Ahem.

24. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

True, but remember what our good friend Dr. Web says, err, I mean CSJ, tests dont tell all. They tell alot, but they really are not the final word for YOUR pc. I personally, would take the lowest scoring AV with Sandboxie, before I would take the top rating AV anywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.