Is manually updating ESS from a virtual machine legal?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Mits, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mits

Mits Registered Member

During my daily struggle with my non-updating ESS 64-bit, I installed it today in a VMware XP 64-bit guest, using my credentials. The updates work perfectly and my license is recognised as valid until 11.2009.

Comparing the host and guest installations, I saw that my host misses one file in the installation dir, namely mod_comp.dat, which includes a string "NOD32.LIC". If this has something to do with the ESS license, it may well be the reason I can't update - I am rejected as an invalid user. However, just placing the file in the proper dir did not solve my problem yet, but I won't know for sure until I reboot.

In the meantime, I want to ask whether running ESS in a virtual machine hosted exclusively by my PC would violate my license terms (copying the VM into another computer probably would). Technically, the outgoing update request, due to the VMware NAT (network address translation) would appear to come from the same IP as my host PC, so I don't think that the update servers would blacklist me.

I would gladly manually update my definitions every morning from the guest to the host until my license expires or until I decide to make a fresh install of my box (ESS is definitely worth the effort), but I want to make it legally.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Please make sure the license credentials (the username and password) are entered correctly into the copy of ESET Smart Security running inside the virtual machine.

The license file is used with other programs, such as ESET Remote Administrator. It's presence (or lack thereof) should not make a difference in the ability for your single instance running inside of the VM to download updates to its virus signature database.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Mits

Mits Registered Member

Thank you for the reply. Strangely, but my ESS started working normally after my first update via the VM's updates. I was prepared to post a new Topic: "Possible solution for non-updating ESS" but now I have to take your word that mod_comp.dat missing does not affect the update mechanism... Oh well.

On the other hand, I am very glad regarding your open views on licensing ESS in a virtual machine. This makes total sense to me: since running a guest is potentially a risk to the host (in case a shared or transferred file is infected) or if infected, it may infect other computers, the proper thing to do security wise is to allow ESS to be installed in the guest. My warmest congratulations :thumb:

4. Memory

Memory Guest

I'm currently trialling VMware Workstation 6.5 and NOD32 AV. So not ESS.

Is it also OK to buy one license of NOD32 AV, and install it in the VMware Host and in all the VMware Virtual Machines, on one and the same physical PC ?

I just paid for a 2 year license for 2 computers. (My own PC, and my son's laptop).
    But the possible licensing issue didn't cross my mind until after completing the order.

TIA,
    Robert

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

For questions related to how the software is licensed., I would suggest you contact ESET's sales department, local distributor or reseller.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.