Is Linux From Scratch useful for learning?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Searching_ _ _, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

At what point would it be useful to give it a go.
    Anyone who can Change Directory, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced?

Why would it be useful as an aid to learning about Linux?

http://lfs.osuosl.org/

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

It's useful because it shows you how Linux is built from the lowest levels. With LFS you have to build your own toolchain, compile all the libraries, configure the kernel, etc. Basically you are building everything from source without a package manager.

Other than learning I see LFS as being impractical for every day use. If you want all the benefits of LFS without all the hassle, then install Gentoo from a stage3. It's not for a beginner, but it does a lot of the unnecessary low-level stuff for you that you would have to do on your own with LFS.

3. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Linux, especially K/Ubuntu is interesting and it is seamless. The new distros look promising in several points even superior to nt 6.x but if you want to trial a lot of software and if you like gaming it is not as useful.

4. chronomatic

Hmm. Are you referring to LFS?

5. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

So then intermediate user with certain amount of knowledge.

Any bridges for beginner to get up to that. Somethings to play around with to build skills.

6. chronomatic

I would say LFS is for advanced users.

It depends on what you're wanting to learn. In general, though, you can learn most everything from any distro (even Ubuntu). Distros like Ubuntu are not tailored specifically for geeks or advanced users, so they attempt to make everything as point and click as possible. However, all the tools are there for digging in deeper if you choose to do so.

7. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Kubuntu has more style imho, ok the kde showed a new bug, still lots of bugs, but it looks more Pro then Ubuntu.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i reckon Intermediate because you mostly follow instructions i think! not that i've ever installed it, or built it or whatever. the whole point is to learn, it's pointless if you already know everything.

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

SJ, they're talking about Linux From Scratch, which
    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
    :)

10. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Intermediate to advanced, it basically a read and do what it tells you to do so even beginners can learn, but I suspect the frustration factor could get pretty high in the case of beginners.

You basically starting with a set of source packages and put them all together to create a LFS sytem. You learn about the Linux system, build, compiling packages and the relationships between packages and their dependencies. As you move along through the building of your LFS system you learn about scripting and how Linux boots and much more. It can be a lot of fun and satisfying after you successfully created your LFS system. Once you have build the Linux From Scratch system, then you move on to BLFS (Beyond Linux From Scratch) and HLFS (Hardened Linux From Scratch). In summary LFS lets you get under the hood of Linux.

That link on your original post is a wee bit out of date, Pedro provided the more up to date link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.