Is it true that LCD monitors are more comfortable to use than CRT’s?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Did you use a CRT monitor before and replace it with LCD monitor? o_O

In your own personal opinion according to your actual usage experience…:rolleyes: what do you think is much more better, more comfortable to use at longer periods of time being in front of it, don’t cause eye strains, tiredness and mental fatigue, easy to our eyes, and in general you’ll love to use and would recommend to anyone? ;) :D :cool: o_O

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Re: Is it true that LCD monitors are more comfortable to use than CRT’s?

Not for me. A good CRT monitor shouldn't cause eye strains, tiredness, or mental fatigue. I used a 17" Viewsonic for many years until it expired, and never experienced the above.

The main reason I purchased a LCD monitor was that it's light, takes up less space, and doesn't put out any heat. Otherwise, the viewing quality seems to be the same.

---

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Got a new Acer LCD five days ago and am really pleased with it. The color and brightness and ease on the eyes and the 8ms refresh rate is very acceptable. As good as any CRT I have seen. I am very satisfied and won't go back to a CRT.

4. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

LCD's have improved, but for maximum all round picture quality in every possible sense, including specs, then a good CRT is still hard to beat. It takes up more real estate, but i feel that's a small price to pay for the special look only a CRT can give. You could go Plasma, but even though they provide a better image that LCD's, they still have some way to go to beat a top quality CRT.

StevieO

5. aka:snowman

aka:snowman Former Poster

Went to NEC MutiSync LCD's recently.......an found they have both pro's and con's........

The issue that most bothers me is that when booting.... the screen can't be "read"......FE: the anti virus boot scan can just barely be read....or when doing a factory restore....nothing is readable.....an becomes "guess work".............if there is reason to "crash" shut-down... its impossible to see what scandisk is doing on re-boot......(strangely there are times when "everything" shows just like with a CRT)

As to the old CRT's.....have had some of the best made......from 13 to 21 inchers.....most had great pictures.....lots of heat......an weight....

The LCD's....looking at the screens from the side-views gives it a wierd affect....takes getting use to..........

overall......prefer the LCD for space saving........easy to move about...etc.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

LCDs are an aquired taste and text can sometimes look weird (at least in safe mode). if ur accustomed to a CRT u will notice a difference. someday (when i have more money and when im not grounded) ill buy a LCD and see how well it does for gaming.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i already use it but i believe its a lcd issue. usually in safe mode, i notice that on certain areas of the screen, text is darker than others. u can move dialog boxs and only the text in that certain area will be dark. it is impossible to take a screenshot of what it looks like tho u could use a camera and take a picture of it.

9. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

I prefer a good crt.
    Beautiful colors and sharp.
    Think they deliberatly dont make those outstanding crt`s anymore to boost the flatscreen market.

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I was just making a general comment... hehe. It wasn't directed at you. I just thought I would mention it for anyone one who doesn't use cleartype. My school doesn't load it on the computers in the lab and it kills my eyes when I'm wiriting programs. I know what you mean about safe mode. I try to stay out of there as much a possible. :blink:

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Boy on these Samsung 193P's I don't see any of the issues mentioned. I'd never go back to CRT's. I think one big thing is price. You can get a high end CRT very reasonably priced, but to get a good LCD, you have to go more bucks.

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't seem to be having the problems some of you are. My LCD acts about like my CRT did I have no problem in safe mode and haven't noticed anything detrimental yet. Just lucky, or a good LCD??

13. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Same here as bigc - My LCD performs about the same as my CRT did.

Years ago I changed my Windows color to light blue, which is much easier on my eyes.

---

Attached Files:

14. SwordOfSecurity

SwordOfSecurity Registered Member

well i'd have to say that LCD monitors are used mostly because:
    1. they dont take up as much space as a CRT
    2. they are easier on the eyes
    3. don't produce as much heat as a CRT (not really a bit issue)

although these pros seem very attractive, the main reason why people prefer CRT or refuse to switch to LCD is mainly because of its image quality, image sharpness, resolution, etc. however, this only matters if you are in graphics design, animation or play a lot of computer games (or something related to them). they are noticeable worse in all of that compared to CRT's (believe me i've seen the differences) but, good LCD's tend to have the cons somewhat minimized, so you don't really get huge, ugly differences--just tiny ones that don't bother you as much :thumb: (i've also seen the difference, on one of my relative's monitors). problem is, that good ones cost quite a bit.

anyway, my conclusion is that LCD monitors are great for normal use that don't involve graphics, pictures, etc. and i love them the most because they are a lot easier on the eyes for me (however i stick to my CRT for graphics use etc.). if you want to have the best quality images however, i would go for CRT or a flat screen one.

P.S i think this is just a rumour but the i just had to bring this up...is it true that flat screen monitors are easier on the eyes by a tiny bit compared to a traditional CRT?

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I don't know about being "true" for everyone, but I have found such a difference when I switched from CRT to LCD. The images and text are so much clearer, brighter and sharper.

16. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Have to agree. Which is why I've dual monitors: (1) 22" CRT, (1) 19" LCD.
    I find LCD has crisper definition for CAD work, some text / spreadsheet apps. CRT better for other graphics (photos, etc.)
    One gripe with LCD is default resolution very high, can't lower it. Makes menu text, etc. quite small...gotta squint sometimes (getting old doesn't help much either).

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Don.

I didn't like the high resolution myself. I have both my Samsung's at 1024 by 768 and the are great, with no squinting.

Pete

18. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Experiment with font settings in Display/Settings/Advanced:

http://www.rsjones.net/imgs/display_1.gif

and in Display/Appearance, esp. Items - Menu and Icon and their fonts:

http://www.rsjones.net/imgs/display_2.gif

---

19. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I was a CRT fan until I had to start spending literally all day looking at it. I replaced it with a 17" Dell Ultra-Sharp, and found out that I was actually focusing my eyes differently for different kinds of text and other things. It took a little while to get all the settings right and get used to some of the text not looking quite the same, but I find it much easier to be in front of now. I've also been playing games and watching videos without any problems.

20. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Been there. Unfortunately, settings cannot be set individually - only globally to both monitors. LCD default res @ 1280/1024, CRT @ a comfortable 1024/768.
    No prob, I find the CRT/LCD combo close to ideal, except for minor high res gripe.

Cheers

21. controler

controler Guest

It all depends on the price of the LCD and quality of your video card.
    Most LCD's have manual controls which help. If you are using a good video card you will get optimizing software with it. Mine for instance is a GeForce which has
    too many settings LOL but the one that stands out is in the advanced menu.
    There you can optimize your LCD just clicking next, next next ect.
    Plazma monotors do not have the burn in that LCD's have on a bright setting.
    A good rule of thumb is to set brightness and contrast to 75%. Your monitor will last longer this way. this holds true for both LCD and CRT. PLUS is better on your eyeballs.

con

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.