Is it safe ?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by CloneRanger, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Saw a post on here about Malware Defender and tried to go to http://www.360.cn

360.gif

pbl.gif

Same deal on -http://dl.360safe.com/md_setup_en.exe- and i presume all www.360.cn sites ?

Bit of a discrepancy between these 2 :D

n.gif

mc.gif

I know by members posting that MD from www.360.cn is fine, so that's not the issue.

If joe public used the Norton tool on an infected www an got a similar result, they could have installed a nasty etc thinking it was safe, and potentially boom, if their AV etc didn't detect it :(

So even though they had been cautious, which is more than some are, relying on such services isn't always enough to prevent disaster.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
  2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You seem to be on the right track but maybe the specific one you want is here?:

http://labs.360.cn/malwaredefender/index.html

This link is provided in the Torchsoft\Download page (scroll to the bottom)

Maybe Prevx flags the Chinese font as potentially dangerous?? Just a thought.

EDIT: It looks to be perfectly safe. I installed the download into my XP vm (Virtualbox) and see no problems :)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
  3. CloneRanger

@wat0114

Hi, thanks for testing, i'm sure that will reassure people if they had any doubts :thumb:

The point i was "trying" to get across though was, for people out there who do actually make an effort to be safer by using those www tools, they can't always be relied on. Anyone taking clean results from an infected www would be led into a false sense of security, which could lead them into trouble :(

Maybe i didn't explain it enough ?

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

All green with LinkExtend (excl. 2 unknowns)
    SiteAdvisor status seems different than yours.

5. CloneRanger

@J_L

1r.gif

Yes wierd, and my previous screenie was from earlier on today ! The latest one still shows RED alerts, but not as many :D

Not sure how they establish their ratings, but not very reliable by the looks of things :(

6. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Weird, This (Qihoo 360) is one of the most popular AV company in China :doubt: .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.