is it safe to online bank on firefox when privoxy is installed?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by magenta, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magenta

magenta Registered Member

is it safe to online bank on firefox when privoxy is installed. does it have the same problems regarding security as tor.

also if privoxy has been installed is it always connected to firefox regardless of whether its icon has been enabled

p.s.
    i have tor and privoxy bundle installed by the way

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

An online banking service should provide it's own encryption system (i.e: SSL), so you shouldn't need TOR for that. It's not like you need anonymity when you connect to your bank :)

3. magenta

my qs is this

if i use firefox to access my bank account with privoxy installed on my laptop will the connection be secure or should i use a different browser which is not associated with privoxy/tor?

i think that even when privoxy is disabled firefox is still connected to it. therefore could anyone read my passwords

4. Nebulus

You could try to ask Firefox to connect without any proxy from Options->Advanced->Network->Connection Settings...->No Proxy.

5. magenta

thanks . will my settings be restored when i resume the proxy afterwards or will I have to configure them again

6. Nebulus

You will have to enter the values manually again when you want to use the proxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.