Is It Possible to Setup a HDD to Boot TRUE IMAGE instead of CD/DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by moshie, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moshie

moshie Registered Member

Is It Possible to Setup a HDD to Boot TRUE IMAGE

Basically i have quite a few image files i would like to carry all around on one drive with the image software all in one.

Im not so worried about the USB connection as i will attach internally via IDE.

I Use to use norton ghost and that you could run from a command line prompt.

And also had command line switches so you could create batch files to fully automate common tasks.

But the Main issue i have is the Booting thing.

Please can someone help

Ta

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello moshie,

Provided your system supports booting from usb, have you considered leaving the backup drive as it is and creating the Acronis bootable media on a USB pen drive? Not much extra to carry around and potentially a lot less hassle than what you are trying to do. Just make sure you preformat the pen drive as FAT not FAT32 and you may have to try setting your BIOS to different USB boot devices to get it to boot successfully.

Regards

3. moshie

moshie Registered Member

well thought id give the pen idea a quick go.

I Formatted my pen drive to FAT, then run CREATE BOOTABLE RESCUE MEDIA and select the pen drive.....................but

every time i click next just after selecting pen drive it then automatically changes to the floppy drive ? ............HUH ?

if someone has an answer to this problem also i would be very grateful.

cheers

4. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

The boot media builder considers the FAT pendrive to be a floppy drive.

In my case, I've never been able to get the media builder to create a bootable USB. I've tried half a dozen memory keys, ranging from 128 MB to 1 GB. None boot in my IBM T42p or my wife's T20, though both computers support booting from USB and can boot DOS from these memory keys without any problem.

However, I was able to use the advice posted somewhere here by a kind soul to use a "syslinux" booter on the memory key. Do a search for syslinux and you will find it, should you need to go this route. This worked like a charm for me.

Marc

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello moshie,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that you can use Acronis Startup Recovery Manager to boot into the standalone version of Acronis True Image. Please note that Acronis Startup Recovery Manager uses Acronis Secure Zone to boot from. The Acronis Startup Recovery Manager enables starting Acronis True Image Home without loading the operating system. When Acronis Startup Recovery Manager is activated, it overwrites the master boot record (MBR) with its own boot code. I would also recommend you to take a look at this FAQ article explaining the reason why we do not recommend creating Acronis Secure Zone on a detachable drive. You can find more information about Acronis Startup Recovery Manager in Chapter 3.4 "Acronis Startup Recovery Manager" in the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide.

Please also note that Acronis True Image has option to use pre/post command. You can specify commands or batch files to be automatically executed before and after the backup/restore procedure. Please check Chapter 5.3.3 "Pre/post commands" for more details.

As for the bootable USB Flash Drive please have a look at this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.