Is it possible to get a "false positive" in an SSD integrity test?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Fox Mulder, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3, fully updated BIOS
    SSD: Intel 330 180GB

Here's the story:

In June, I purchased an Intel 330 180GB SSD. Through the Intel SSD Toolbox, I used the SSD Optimizer and conducted Quick and Full diagnostic scans. Everything came back OK.

Two months later, I experienced some BSODs and did a Full Diagnostic Scan through the Toolbox, which revealed a data mismatch error. I RMA'ed the drive and Intel sent me a new one.

I popped open the new one today, put it in my computer, and installed Windows 7 on it. Lo and behold, I scanned it and got a Data Mismatch Error.

I've tried plugging it into every SATA port I have and it still reports that error.

My question: Am I the unluckiest guy or is it possible that this second scan is some kind of false positive?

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

While certainly you would not expect to get another brand new disk that is bad from the factory, especially from a major maker like Intel, but it can happen. And while Gigabyte is my preferred board maker, you cannot really be sure this is not a board (controller/interface) issue either.

I think if me, before calling for another RMA, I would try that SSD in another computer and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.