Is it possible to get a "false positive" in an SSD integrity test?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Fox Mulder, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3, fully updated BIOS
    SSD: Intel 330 180GB

Here's the story:

In June, I purchased an Intel 330 180GB SSD. Through the Intel SSD Toolbox, I used the SSD Optimizer and conducted Quick and Full diagnostic scans. Everything came back OK.

Two months later, I experienced some BSODs and did a Full Diagnostic Scan through the Toolbox, which revealed a data mismatch error. I RMA'ed the drive and Intel sent me a new one.

I popped open the new one today, put it in my computer, and installed Windows 7 on it. Lo and behold, I scanned it and got a Data Mismatch Error.

I've tried plugging it into every SATA port I have and it still reports that error.

My question: Am I the unluckiest guy or is it possible that this second scan is some kind of false positive?

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

While certainly you would not expect to get another brand new disk that is bad from the factory, especially from a major maker like Intel, but it can happen. And while Gigabyte is my preferred board maker, you cannot really be sure this is not a board (controller/interface) issue either.

I think if me, before calling for another RMA, I would try that SSD in another computer and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.