Is it possible to automate this process?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jaws, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

I remember writing very, very simple batch files in the days of DOS to automate a process, but can a batch file be used to start a program from a user account to an administrator mode?

I always run in a user account and would like to create a shortcut on the desktop, so that when you double click on it, it starts the program as an administrator.

For instance, I have an icon on the desktop of a program when in my user account. I hold down the shift key, right click on the icon to get the - run as - command in the right click menu. I then enter the user name and password, click OK and the program opens as an administrator.

Is it possible to automate this process with a batch file or other software placed on the desktop?

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Jaws,

Sure it's possible (usually as long as you can think it). Create Process As User is a console based app that handle's password automation.
    Quick .bat setup, something like this:

The use of lwop in place of lwp may or may not have side effects depending on how a particular application was written. In accordance with the MS help for runas, Joe also states possible "funk" when NOT loading a profile. I chose to err on the safe side incorporating lwp (successfully executing dfrg.msc from a limited user account on XPHome), though the choice on which to employ is up to you. The program itself contains additional, simple encryption functionality.

GF

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  3. MEGfocke

MEGfocke Registered Member

I have always used Batch files in all versions of Windows up to XP
    and never had a problem.

However, if you do not write the batch file correctly you may get problems.

4. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Hey GF,

Thanks for the response and the link. I'll give it a go. Also thanks for the start with the quick .bat setup, been a long time ago since even thinking about batch files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.