Is it me or is it Vista

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by richard1966, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richard1966

richard1966 Registered Member

I've bought on recommendation and tried True image to clone my old 60 Gb hard drive to my new 160Gb drive connected via USB in my Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. I want to replace the old hard drive.

I've ran the Disk Clone in True Image 10 many times now and it copies over the data fine with the new partions I set manually but when I take out the old drive and plug in the new one the system machine doesn't recognise its there. The new hard drive is neither a system disk or the boot disk.

I have even tried Migrate Easy with the same result, I cannot boot from the cloned drive. The guy that recommended the softwarereckons it's great, but he has XP and not Vista like me. The process for him was straight forward. So where am I going wrong, is it me or is it True Image 10 - Migrate Easy 7 that do not like Vista. Tried emailing Acronis support but they aren't quick at getting back to me. Your help would be much appreciated.

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Is the bios able to recognize such a large hard drive? If it does, try this instead:
    Make the bootable Rescue cd from the menu in True Image. Boot with it and try the Clone procedure from its menu. It will recognize that there are already partitions on the 160 and will ask to delete them. Accept. Let the process run with all the defaults.

3. richard1966

Thanks for the reply - I've already tried that but with no joy. Can you suggest any other methods? Has anyone else experienced problems with Vista and Acronis?

4. Ralphie

If you have the Restore CDs for the Dell, install the 160 and run Dells CDs just to see if the 160 will boot properly.

5. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi,

I just "played around" a little with Acronis and Vista, but I can confirm your problem. The solution for me was:

1. Boot up the cloned HDD with Vista DVD
    2. Choose "repair Boot-Environment" (or something like that...I'm german)
    3. Reboot

-> Vista decided to start properly again..

greetings

Volker

6. richard1966

It's not me or Vista or Acronis. The nice man at Dell tells me the highest hard disk capacity my Inspiron 9300 will support is 100Gb so my 160Gb is just a bit over that. That's why the BIOS couldn't see it. No BIOS update on the horizon either so I'm stuck. Seems he Acronis program worked well and it was the hard ware that halet me down. That's Dell off my christmas card list!:D

7. Ralphie

Ah ha .... as I suspected .... well you can always get a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter and use that 160 in a desktop. Or use it to hold data for the laptop. When the 160 is connected via usb, how much capacity does Windows see it as having?

8. richard1966

When it's in the USB cradle Vista sees 152Gb which is pretty good. I'm not overly concerned - I can make use of the drive - it's just annoying that Dell has nothing about a limit about hard drive size on any of thier support sites. Instead several phone calls and ages on hold to get anywhere. I must say I am surprised though - the machine is less than a year old and it's supposed to be thier top of the range laptop desktop replacement. Never mind.

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I am a bit surprised at that upper limit as well but thinking the laptop world is just an easier-to-carry version of the desktop world usually brings disappointments regardless of manufacturer.

10. jjbtnc

jjbtnc Registered Member

you say

"I must say I am surprised though - the machine is less than a year old and it's supposed to be thier top of the range laptop desktop replacement"

I'm flabbergasted!!!!! That has really surprised me!!

Can't believe there is no way around it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.