Is it just me, or is Firefox 2.0 slower than H___

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I haven't figured in out yet...Some newly stupid default setting, or what?

I don't see how to change my browser cache directory. in about config, browser.cache.disk.parent_directory does not exist...how do I create it?

-HandsOff

OK - I finally found it. It always seems hardest to find answers for the most basic questions. Kudos to http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_8.html were I eventually found the answer

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

The first thing that hit me with FF 2 was the speed of it, without any modifications. I was actually looking at a transfer to K-meleon because of the slow rendering and start up speed of the previous Firefoxes (with my must have extensions).

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Pardon my density, but when you say you were struck by the speed of it, did you mean fast or slow?

I think I may have identified the culprit. It has to do with the fact that the pages I use contain a HUGE number of links, and there is a possibly ill-considered default setting in FF2.0 that "prefetches" pages that you do not even view!!!

I'm sure that works fine for grandma, but the way I surf the net, that would mean hundreds of pages being downloaded that I dont even view. I switched it off. Now everything seems back to good. BTW - I believe this was defauled to off on the 1.x versions, but not absolutely sure.

-HandsOff

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I meant the fast speed of 2.0 compared to the previous versions. With all my extensions it is not as fast as K-meleon when surfing, but not far from it imo.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Firefox 2.0 by default seems to be downloading a list of bad websites upon initial startups. Once its finished with that, I found it to be as fast as before. :)

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have found slow startup and slow loading of first pages as well.
    where do i disable that option?
    i thought it was my internet connection that made the first pages load slow lol.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.