Is it just me or is chrome much snappier than Firefox?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

As much as I hate Chrome...I just tried it and found that browsing on websites is much faster and snappier compared to Firefox

anyone else feels the same?

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

It's just you. :D

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Agreed. It's just him.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Agreed.
    Mrk

5. berryracer

Thanks for the confirmation guys...I think it was the placebo effect :D

Glad Im not geting rid of my FF :)

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah good going. You could use Chrome with FF but only get rid of FF with strong reasons to do so behind it. :)

7. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

I find Chrome loads much faster than Firefox on my pc's, one with XP and one with W7.

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

On every machine I have ever tried chrome on, it loads faster (initially) and most web pages load faster as well --- faster than any other browser, not just Firefox. I have heard it has to do with the caching, but haven't investigated. It may well be you are seeing this too.

I don't like any of the browsers of today personally, so I just use chromium because I like its simplicity and make use of its sandboxing effect.

Sul.

9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I can relate, there are things I would change about all of them. Firefox is the slowest to start up, but that extra couple of seconds if not enough for me to ditch it. I find Chrome and IE to be lacking in features. In overall browsing I do not find a huge difference in any of them. I loaded Chrome 20 a few days ago and do find it better than the version 15 I last had installed but it is still not going to replace Firefox as my primary browser. I'm not sure the reason but I find scrolling to less smooth on Chrome than on Firefox or IE, with IE being the best of the 3.

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

It's funny to see all these different reactions people have about different web browsers. :D For instance, I'm a long time Chromium user and I like it a lot. It's fast and all that stuff. I remember that the last time I ran Firefox - a few years back - it was really slow. It made me switch to Opera web browser. Recently, I started using Firefox Nightly builds, which loads quick... unfortunately, browsing is a bit slower than Chromium, and I'm using a really low speed Internet connection, so using Chromium makes a difference.

I also find Firefox a bit feature-lacking, compared to what I have natively in Chromium. For example, I had to install the extension HttpFox in Firefox to monitor http/https connections; something I can do natively with Chromium. I can also disable referrers natively in Chromium; something that with Firefox we need an extension... Unless there's a way, and I'm not aware of it. :doubt: I can also restrict connections to specific domains, or blacklist all, except what I want to allow, natively... I need an extension for that in Firefox...

Firefox is heading the right direction, though. Hopefully, it will stay that way. I like it. It could load websites a bit faster, considering my kind of Internet connection, though.

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Same here. I don't mind that they want to do so much more than be a standard browser, but often when I am just researching infos, I don't want the overhead that they bring. I would opt for a research browser that was very spartan and also very light footprint. I don't care that I have 8gb of ram, I just want a browser that is very light and responsive and can open scads of tabs for me to read the content.

If I was looking to do more resource intensive browsing, then I would use something with more "tools" built into it.

I miss the browsers of yesteryear that were lightweight for much of my browsing. Chromium, for me, comes the closest.

Sul.

12. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have the overall same experience with firefox. In fact, I have loathed it for years now because from my perspective it is the slowest. Of course I did not use chromium based browsers for the first couple years either, instead I used Kmeleon.

But for me the verdict is I use whichever seems to feel the best. Most of the time I base it on user interface, of which I like chromium versions the best right now. But sometimes I base it on performance even if the UI is not as good. I am waiting for the combination of both to crop up somewhere :)

Sul.

13. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

I also stick with FF purely for the added value of the add-ons, otherwise i wouldn't know which one to choose, probably Chrome for its speed compared to the rest.

14. berryracer

yes to be honest no matter how much Chrome advances, its addons could never even touch those of Firefox

15. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

After using Firefox for a week I can definitely say there is a very noticeable difference in speed between Chrome and Firefox. The two areas I noticed this most are page loads on WordPress (a few other sites were pretty slow as well) and the UI.

I pinned three tabs (gmail, twitter, my blog) and they started when firefox started. The UI was really sluggish during this initial load and this happens consistently when trying to switch between tabs while they're loading.

That's in stark contrast to Chrome, which doesn't even hiccup when I pin those same tabs.

Another really interesting thing I noticed is that LastPass would hang the Firefox browser -- to many permutations of pbkdf2 (35,000). On Chrome the extension would do its thing, hang probably in the background, and I can browser without it affecting me. On Firefox the entire thing locks up.

16. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I find Chrome is noticeably snappier than any other browser.

17. xxJackxx

I have not had this issue, though one of their recent updates (LastPass) wiped out all of my Firefox extensions.

18. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The performance of a browser should be evaluated over a period of several months. When I began using Chrome beta (many months ago), it was very fast and "snappy". When I stopped using it, some 3-4 months later, it had become very slow to load my initial page mix, and both FF and IE9 were faster.

Now my default is IE9, which has kept its performance level over time, but doesn´t work on some sites. I also use FF beta, but it takes it much longer to load my initial pages.

19. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

The default rounds for lastpass is 500 and I'm using 7x that so it's not too surprising.

20. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

Palemoon's faster than anything I've used; just by cutting out the Firefox bloat loading is greatly sped up.

21. Here (on Linux) Chromium is a bit faster than Firefox.

On Windows 7 OTOH, Chrome lags like crazy when scrolling. Which is very annoying, because Firefox and Opera cannot be sandboxed using native Windows functionality, and I frankly still do not trust IE.

22. xxJackxx

Maybe the 64 bit version, or even better Waterfox, but the 32 bit version never made enough difference for me to lose the compatibility with binary extensions.

23. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Waterfox is faster than Chrome on my laptop, except with browser startup

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'll give Chrome a slight edge, yes.....

25. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Speed is the most important feature for choosing Chrome, and it is faster than the others on all of my computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.