Is Integrity Level gone in Win 10 ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by lunarlander, Jan 26, 2018.

1. lunarlander

lunarlander Registered Member

Hi,

I just did a small experiment. Made a low-integrity cmd.exe, then used to it access a NoReadUp NoExeUp NoWriteUp arp.exe. The arp also has the Users group removed from ACL.

When I ran the cmd-low.exe as admin, it was able to run arp.exe.

I thought Integrity levels are supposed to over ride access controls ? Such that a low integrity exe can never access a medium integrity item ?

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

It could be because you ran cmd-low as admin. You could run Sysinternal's Process Explorer to verify the IL.

3. lunarlander

I added the Users group back to ARP.exe and ran cmd-low.exe as a normal user and tried to run arp: got access is denied. Process Explorer shows cmd-low as low integrity. So it seems integrity levels do work to a point.

But isn't integrity levels supposed to trump ACLs ? I mean an admin cmd-low.exe still should not be able to run arp with NX NR NW. I checked process explorer and when I ran cmd-low.exe as admin, the integrity level column is blank.

4. guest

guest Guest

This will still be the case, and the integrity levels are still there :)
    * a process with low integrity level can’t open a handle with full access to a process with a higher integrity level
    * a process with low integrity level can’t inject a DLL in a process with medium (or higher) integrity level.

Launch cmd.exe normally and it has a Low Integrity, but running cmd.exe as Administrator will lead to a High Integrity (even if you have set cmd.exe to low integrity)

5. lunarlander

Thanks mood, didn't know that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.