Is Hitman Pro really outdated for Malware experts?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yongsua, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Hi,when I surfed to Avast! forum and one of the evangelist replied this way:

What do you think?Thanks.

2. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Maybe is OTL?

I so, i think that OTL is a tool used to remove malware manually. Hitman on the other hand is a multi-engine on-demand scanner. They can´t be compared, i guess.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I would give a lot of credence to what that particular avast! Evangelist has to say.
    She has always provided well thought-out information and I think she knows what she is talking about.
    I admit to being surprised by her statements.
    Obviously there will be many who will dispute her assertion, but like she says, she has helped a great many people with malware removal, and it is just her opinion. She also states that HMP is now considered outdated according to our malware removal experts... so she is citing other people's opinions as well. Whether or not those other malware removal experts actually think HMP is outdated is the question that needs answering.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

IMO Hitman is a great tool for the casual users (Like me). Probably not for experts but it does a good job removing and detecting. Not everyone are experts ;) If we consider the post as a point of view . . . then why we should use Avast! if there are better tools out there? :rolleyes:

So don't take it personal but IMO it's a lame post :D :thumb:

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Personal opinions aren't facts. Simple as that.

6. gery

gery Registered Member

it might not be good enough for professionals but it is a very effective tool and it does what it says . I do not see anything strange here.

7. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Manual removal is truely a different art.
    I wouldn't lump it into the same category as a demand scanner.

8. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

Laughable. Hitman pro is constantly adding really good features. Read the hitman pro thread and you will see the changelog. So it's not outdated. I deal with cleaning hundreds of machines a week. It's 1 of the best tools out there for removing malware. Almost always 1 of the 1st at removing latest variants of TDL. If she could go a little further into her conclusion of thinking its outdated it would be nice. But she doesnt explain why she thinks it. So take it with a grain of salt.

9. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

LOL.

No. Hitman pro is one of the best malware scanners out there. It is a great tool, I have been using it for years and will keep on using it. Some people use alot of these tools that require you to memorize a bunch of commands and whatever to cure an infection but I find that to be useless when I can just run a couple automated scanners and clean the PC just the same.

10. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

So who is this woman ? It;s been a long time since I visited the Avast forum. Being an evangelist means nothing. It may have changed, but to become an evangelist all you need to do was post 500 times ( if memory serves me right )
    I was an evangelist, and i know diddly squat. The only proper removal expert then was /is Essexboy, who is also on Geekstogo. He/they use OTL, which when used by a novice is useless, as you need to know what to look for.

EDIT
    Found it now http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=79130.msg652020#msg652020

A malware removal expert like Essexboy would never use any AV scanners, he uses OTL and is trained to use it. People like him are far and few between.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

it is hard to maintain, profit wise, a on demand scanner. HP failing has to be not ever offering a full time product with the engines it uses.

I have to admit that if something doesnt change in its camp, it could easily fold.

12. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

I assume you've missed their announcement about them cooperating with router vendor Sitecom?
    They've introduced a line of home&business routers introducing 'HitmanPro UTM'/'Real-time Embedded Protection'. link
    (Imao, they should have tried selling this tech to (one of the) major Dutch ISPs; probably lower margins but likely much higher volume. Then again, I'm no marketing/sales expert)

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yes I did and thanks. This is exactly what they need.

14. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

OTL is like hijack this it provides good logs. Better than hijack this but Cmon you want to fight malware you do it with something that does the same thing as malware. Hunt down files and processes and kill it. That's the neat thing about Combofix. Even if it doesn't have the names of malware yet you can add it with a couple of logs to pin point the location of the malicious files. Then drag and drop onto Combofix and removes them.
    But the killing power people got to thank Gmner. Tdskiller and Combofix uses Gmner catchme.

But then you get those nasty file critters like Virut. Then I use another good application by microsoft its called FORMAT C:\

superhacker and his mate can't remember his name but they know their stuff. Dunno if their still there

15. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

My own opinion is that malware removal itself is outdated.Given the plethora of top notch imaging/snapshot utilities available all it takes is a little forward planning.

16. blasev

blasev Registered Member

But we do need scanner to confirm
    that we need to go back to previous snapshot or image

17. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

Imaging saves a lot of time in the long run if malware is unmovable. However if malware can be removed through a 5-10 minute scan then its well worth it.

18. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

IMO restoring an image is always preferable since there's a nagging doubt (at least for me personally),that you may not have completely removed every trace otherwise.

I agree with Blasev that scanners,both on-access and on-demand are of use,not least in determining the time of infection so that a "pre-infected" image can be restored;but no other form of removal offers the 100% guarantee that the likes of Macrium Reflect,etc. do.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  19. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

When you are a real malware expert one could do without the advanced crime scene investigtion and intrusion correlation heuristics. For the rest of us, security enthousiasts (like me), it is one of the best free tools around.

My son helped a friend out, after running HMP he gained control of the log on process again. Ran the usual other post infection scanners and after half an hour had a working PC again.

All those multi and portable scanners are great tools for amatures like me

20. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

+1. :thumb:

21. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

I totally agree. I find running Avira, HMP and MBAM, extremely reassuring ( when they don't find anything )
    Iv'e had a few false positives, and if any of them found anything real, I would simply restore to a previous image

22. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I don't know about HMP, but from time to time I go to some of those forums specialized in cleaning malware, and they also tell the people asking for help to perform scans with antimalware apps, such as MBAM, for example.

I'd think of an outdated antimalware app, an app that couldn't deal with recent malware.

Is that the case with HMP? Development is quite active, so I'd think not. Maybe I'm wrong, since I'm not an expert either.

23. Nekromantik

Nekromantik Registered Member

little bit offtopic but anyone got any good offers or discounts for HMP?

24. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I never saw him much, but it is a good product.

I really like his speed and steady development, but not like these kind of pieces of engines it uses.

Keep it, but I still like most of MBAM.

Remembering that this is a personal choice.

25. shadek

shadek Registered Member

The cleaning capabilities of Hitman are top notch. The thing it lacks is detection and removal of most rouge AVs. I think Hitman needs a signature-based module in order to deal with these threats. All other threats, Hitman normally detects flawlessly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.