Is Foxie safe?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kdm31091, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Foxie (http://www.getfoxie.com/) offers tabs for IE6, and a "firewall" and "spyware sweeper" thing. While I only use it for the tabs (IE7's tabs are painfully slow, so I'm back to IE6 with Foxie tabs), I am concerned. On BetaNews site, on the reviews for Foxie, some users reported the "firewall" as being a trojan. I have it disabled from my startup, but still, is the trojan news true? BTW, scans with Avast, Ewido, and Ad-Aware have found zip on my system.

Also in Foxie's defense, it doesn't seem like it has any behaviors of malware. It doesn't change the search page, it doesn't give you ads or popups, it uninstalls cleanly and without a hitch, it doesn't bother you to purchase anything (it doesn't have any payware), etc. I don't see what the advantage would be for it to be malware then, since most rogue security tends to tell you "you have a virus, you have a trojan" etc.

Are the Betanews users right, or is Foxie safe? It's not on any rogue lists. Wikipedia also mentions that it has a trojan, but said this was only with one release.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

maybe it was a false positive in a previous version? im not sure but i havent had any problem when i tried it.

3. kdm31091

I'm not having any issues either, and the firewall was pretty easy to disable from startup. It's not running. I only use the tabs. At the first sign of trouble, I could easily remove Foxie. I just don't see why it would be malware, it has no malware qualities.

4. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

Went to the site and immediately McAfee SiteAdvisor went off and I viewed the site details and they said that there were two "red" or dangerous downloads that included spyware, adware, viruses. But then again thats just McAfee. Not sure if that helps at all. It looks neat but I'm resisting the temptation.:D Got a new laptop and not wanting just a bit of malware onto it!

5. kdm31091

Aw man. Now I really think I should get rid of it.

Why must such a cool product be malware? All the other IE6 tab adds on (Windows Live, Yahoo toolbar) are slow and buggy.

6. as1m

as1m Registered Member

Hi,

Just to be on the safe side google the following: NSIS Media+foxie

Some intresting stuff.

Thanks.

7. WSFuser

i cant tell if foxie is malicious or not.

i think your better off forgetting about foxie and just using avant or maxthon. both are browser fronts for IE engine.

8. kdm31091

I use Maxthon sometimes, and I positively love it. I wish I could use all IE add-ons with it though.

Is Maxthon safe enough for daily use? I always worry bout the security issues, but as I can see, Firefox is starting to get them too. So I know every browser basically is or will become vulnerable. Is Maxthon safe [enough] that I can at least not except loads of malware?

9. WSFuser

i understand your concern over foxie, but just use maxthon, firefox, or whichever browser it is u like/use most. dont get over paranoid.

avant/maxthon share the same vulnerabilities as IE, but if its malware youre worried about just dont visit shady sites, scan all downloads, disable javasript, java, cookies, and activex. the browser is only as secure as you make it.

u can use IE and browse the internet safely. configure it, use a sandbox (optional), and practice safe hex.

10. kdm31091

Any freeware sandboxes besides Sandboxie? It never worked on my system.

11. WSFuser

at this page, u can find the free versions of bufferzone. just pick whatever application u need BZ for.

u can also try GeSWall

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  12. Consoleman

Consoleman Registered Member

Never hear of Foxie before?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.