Is firewall needed if SSM's network rules are enabled?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bellgamin, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have a NAT router for incoming. I am using Kerio 2.1.5 for outgoing.

If I enable System Safety Monitor's network rules module, do I need Kerio any more?

In other words, will using SSM's network rules module provide outgoing protection which is approximately equivalent to that provided by Kerio 2.1.5?

2. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Personally, I still adhere to the concept of a HIPS doing the job of a HIPS and a firewall doing the job of a firewall, so I keep SSM's network module disabled. I just feel that a firewall, including Kerio 2.1.5, does a better - more thorough - job of controlling outbound network communications. Besides, Kerio has no appreciable impact on mosy systems' performance.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Nah i'd say you don't really need kerio 2.1.5 anymore. Your router takes care of inbound connections and ssm takes care of outbound connections.

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

This has been raised before - if you only want basic yes/no network access then SSM's firewall feature should suffice. However it is not (yet) adequate for handling limited access (i.e. restrictions by address or port) since you only have trusted/untrusted zones which are applied to all applications.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.