Is Eset backing the Common Malware Enumeration initiative?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by msanto, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msanto

msanto Registered Member

2. berng

berng Registered Member

I don't know how this would help me as a NOD user. The current naming convention does not confuse me.

How would this work in NOD? If they are the first to detect a virus, would they then assign their own name and also submit it to CME who would then assign a CME number? How long would that take? Would future scans then just show the CME number, the NOD assigned name or both?

I just wonder if its worth it for NOD to get involved in this when resources can be used instead to directly improve the product.

Attached Files:

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

while the naming conventions can be easy to work out - the CME list's whacked out scrolling table is neither user friendly (it doesn't work properly in Mozilla) - and you can't search it for a threat alias, or re-order the table by CME-ID, date, or ANYTHING else...

If such a fundamental feature as searching by threat name isn't built into their site, you have to wonder just who are they really trying to help...

In the mean time, I'll be launching a searchable version of the Eset threat database, which does include some threat aliases, within a week or so....

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

IMO the problem is not in the formats that various companies use to identify malware. its the names themselves. An Alias list should solve that problem, though.....:doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.