Is ERROR GUARD spyware ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by volvo45, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volvo45

volvo45 Guest

A friend of mine seems to have a lot of trouble with it : slow system, harassing popups, false positives and errors, etc
    I went on Google and saw many bad comments about it, but nothing official...
    Anyone have something precise about it ?

Thanks a lot !

2. kkyucon

kkyucon Registered Member

Indeed it is. This program contains a virus that is not yet defined by major antivirus corps and does contain spyware. In addition to virus/spyware, Error Guard is a pop-up that executes(installs for non ITs) when you press on fix button. This is due to your browser being hijacked. Now it is in your registry and you are infected. But was is most worrysome, is that it uses a method called "phishing", alerting you to a danger to intice you in to giving them your cc number. Now you've been scammed.

To heal,
    1. uninstall in add/remove
    2. for xp roll back in system restore at a date prior to error guard,
    other os's restore registry (if you've backed it up), or install a trusted registry cleaner like reg cleaner 4.3 and run
    3. run disk cleanup
    4. delete cookies, files, clear history (ie/tools/internet options)
    5. run adware/spyware remover
    6. scan with updated antivirus
    7. backup registry (see microsoft.com for instructions)
    8. reboot
    9. don't give out your cc number if the vendor does not give you the option to first try their product. That to me is a red flag. Be---ware!!

How do I know? I just know.

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I cleaned this from a friends computer just 3 days ago - his girlfriend had hit "ok" when this thing told them they had 138 errors on the system and of course it asked for their credit cards number - luckily enough she didn't plug it in. I don't know if it's spyware or not but I do know that they had no idea where it came from and wanted it gone.

It did have an uninstall in "add/remove programs" that I used, but I also cleaned a few things after that with Ad-Aware and Spybot, scanned with an AV, and swept up the registry with EasyCleaner. Everything seems fine so far.

4. kkyucon

kkyucon Registered Member

It's not gone...

If your friends browse to a sight that is infected, their browser will be hijacked again. Your best bet is to restore the registry from a previous backup or roll back for xp. Of course only if it comes back. If it does'nt, congragulate EasyCleaner's developper.

Keep me posted, Detox.

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I also added SpywareBlaster and Spybot's Teatimer after cleaning - one of those may cover it but I'm honestly not sure. I'll know if it appears again as I will be updating a few more things over there next week.

6. shabba

shabba Guest

i came across the same thing 138 problems;ect. I thought oh, crap. so gave my cc and downloaded it. what do i do i have already given my cc?

7. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

My recommendation is to call your credit card company, explain what has happened. They'll close your current account and open a new one for you. :(

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Last edited: May 8, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.