Is EMET Still Redundant on Windows 10 When Using FireFox?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MrGump, Nov 2, 2016.

1. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

Thanks for taking a look at my question. I have read that EMET is mostly redundant on Windows 10 but it seems this mainly applies when using Edge. If this is correct would It be useful to use EMET on a Windows 10 system using FireFox? Thanks!

2. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

This is actually a great question. This is just my opinion, of course. But if you were speaking of any other browser other than Firefox, I would say that you would be perfectly fine on Windows 10 with any other sandboxed browser. Firefox, at least at this very point in time, needs some extra protection, without a doubt. That is expected to change over the next year or so as Firefox gets more sandboxing capabilities, but for now it needs protection. Whether that be EMET, MBAE, HMPA, or even things such as Sandboxie.

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I keep Sandboxie around for Firefox. I find EMET to cause more problems that it solves. I think I read in another thread here that they are retiring EMET anyway, so I have no use for it. I'd like to get rid of Firefox, but I'm having a hard time liking anything else enough to completely replace it.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

sandboxie is avirtual environment - not a security software like emet or mbae - apples and oranges :rolleyes:

6. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

thanks for all the great info! Hmm ya i feel EMET might cause more issues than it solves but that being said i use VoodooShield and maybe it kinda replaces EMET. Then again maybe i don't know what the heck I'm talking about !

7. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

Microsoft to discontinue EMET in July 2018

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/04/microsoft-to-discontinue-emet-in-july-2018/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.