Is DRM software in mp3 files a security threat?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by exus69, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Hello,

I was reading about LUA on microsoft site( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456992.aspx ) when I came across this piece of information
    I tried googling the same but couldn't find any information about threats from DRM software in music files. Can someone plz throw some light on this issue??
    Is it serious?

Thank You :)

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If I remember correctly it was Sony's scandal that made rootkit technique popular. I don't remember much malware using rootkit before that incident. After that, rootkits became popular among malware writers.

Regards, hqsec

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

5. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Wow that was quick. Thanks for the info. I had read about the Sony rootkit earlier. So my only concern was is this method used regularly these days to infect a computer? Since there doesn't seem to be anything more on this attack vector other than Sony DRM Rootkit, I'll lay my curiosity to rest :)

Thank You again :)

6. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

It's a good topic, actually. DRM can indeed be a security threat, as they are designed to report back and interfere with any "unauthorized" use of purchased material. In my book, if I pay for something, not a monthly fee but actually make a purchase..I'll do whatever I please with it. I'm very, very tired of this "You don't own it" attitude from companies when it comes to digital goods.

7. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

8. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Thanks for the links MrBrian. By the way do you'll think the following group policy is an ideal way to stay protected ? So basically after reading all those links do you'll agree that this is more of a privacy than a security issue ?

Attached Files:

• DRM.jpg
      DRM.jpg
      File size:
      139.9 KB
      Views:
  9. MrBrian

@exus69:

MP3 files are DRM-free.

For disabling Autorun features completely, use Microsoft Fix it 50471 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715. That will stop autoruns when you insert any CD.

10. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Yes, I was under the impression that all MP3 files are DRM-free; the format just doesn't support it. Although it gets confusing as some people (and professionally-written articles, apparently) refer to any music file as an "MP3."

11. MrBrian

You're welcome :).

There's definitely a privacy angle here. But there can also be a security angle, as shown here and here.

12. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

MrBrian, sorry to say but that is not the right way to fix the autorun problem. The following link will clear the air.

http://www.datamation.com/secu/arti...AutorunAutoPlay-Good-Method-vs-Bad-Method.htm

There are some interesting links in that article regarding the autorun issue specially this one:

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/ta09-020a

Have a good day :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  13. MrBrian

Thanks for the links :). I've seen that method before, but I never used it. Maybe I'll reconsider though.

14. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Yes its very easy and more importantly applies to all versions of Windows(which the link says) but autoplay/autorun can anyways be taken care of in group policy post Vista.

15. MrBrian

I actually did it with group policy before, but I wasn't sure if you had access to the policy editor or not.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  16. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Ooops well I was talking about restricting Autorun/Autoplay from XP point of view. Am aware of those policies in 7. Thanks for the link anyways :)

17. Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh Goretsky Security Expert

Hello,

If memory serves, Windows Media Audio files can include a URL in them to download a codec. This can be used to send a malicious file to the requesting application (Microsoft Windows Media, etc.), which it would then launch under the aegis of using it to play the encoded content.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.