Is disabling the Eset driver in the LAN settings ok?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by mvdu, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I've noticed that when I disable the Eset firewall driver in my network connection properties that my computer runs much better on startup. There is no delay in getting internet connectivity. Firewall still seems to work, though the logs aren't as wordy about the network. So leaving the driver disabled wouldn't reduce protection too much?

2. GhostMan

GhostMan Eset Staff Account

Hi

turning off ESS firewall in network connection settings (in fact, this is practically a uninstall of it) is equal to disabling firewall from ESS Setup. Considering this, your PC is faster, but you have no firewall :).

Cheers.

3. AshG

AshG Registered Member

Ghostman, thanks for the info! I've been trying to figure out how to de-firewall ESS for a while now. =)

It's a long way around, but at least it's a way those of us who want to use -only- the AV in the ESS beta can have our cake and eat it too!

4. GhostMan

Hello

yes, we can look at it from this point of view, but AV only version of ESS will be released too (we are working on it), so this "tricky way" how to disable firewall is useless. Anyway, thanks for letting us know :).

Cheers

5. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

But the firewall is still filtering outbound traffic. Possibly some inbound?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  6. GhostMan

I didn't make any detailed test of this, but if you turn off firewall driver from network connection, the situation should be the same as if you uninstall firewall at all, resp, if you set firewall to Allow all traffic mode. But as I said, it was not tested.

Cheers.

7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Please test, because I get some firewall functionality. But I don't know if it would be ok to use.

8. GhostMan

Hi

What functionality? If you set firewall to block all traffic, you loose all network connections. Then, turn off firewall from network connection, check in ESS that firewall is always blocking traffic, but in fact you can access network quite well. This is correct, because network adapter don't use ESS firewall driver any more.
    After you turn it on again, you will be prompted to continue with ESS firewall installation.

Cheers.

9. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I am still getting prompts when applications request outbound access. It's inbound that I'm not sure about.

10. GhostMan

Hi

ok, let's go back to the point of this topic, because we are loosing it.
    If you want to have only AV ESS, then wait for official release of this product.
    We don't recommend turning firewall off in this way.

Cheers :).

11. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Huh? That's not what I mean. I would want the suite, but I wanted to know what happens if that was disabled. I'll try leaving it on to test, even though ESS delays my connection.

12. GhostMan

Hi

As I said, this is probably the same as without any firewall.
    Let us know the results of testing to betasupport@eset.sk
    Thanks.

Regards.

13. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Thanks - will send my findings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.