Is Destroying Sim Card good enough

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by rubberducky, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rubberducky

rubberducky Registered Member

I have an old Nokia 3595 that I need to dispose off. In order to protect my privacy, is it enough to destroy the Sim Card or do I have to do anything with the cellphone itself?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

reset the phone to default state, there should be an option. only destroy sim card if you have no use for it

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

6. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I always assumed that all of the information would be stored *ONLY* on the SIM card.

7. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Clear phone information and destroy sim card if it not needed. My motto is if you don't need it, destroy everything you touch.

8. helpmeout

helpmeout Registered Member

I had my cell phone bugged by the same people that were/are packet filtering and from what I read and was told by my cell phone provider you need to have your phone re-flashed back to the factory defaults and make sure your phone book entries are erased. That should/will take care of any concerns you might have.

As far as your sim card goes. Just cut it up and buy a new one from your provider for like $30 bucks if need be.

On a side note: It never hurts to switch your phone number out every now and then if you feel insecure.

9. yurtus

yurtus Registered Member

All you have to do is get a sim card reader and reset the sim back to virgin status. But if you really want to do things the right way then just reflash your phone and upgrade the firmware it will get rid of any bugs somebody might have planted. Then pickup a cell phone counter spy unit for like 40 bucks and feel safe again.

The real sick part is if you want to go the extra mile you can always buy a land line spy detector for anywhere between $20-$30 bucks and feel totally safe.

10. Gasp

Gasp Registered Member

Running it through a small cross shredder would be sufficient. If you still not happy with that, burn it :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.