Is COMODO FW v3 recommendable for novices?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by OHM, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OHM

OHM Guest

Hey,
    I'm a person who wants to try OA Free, but doesn't have the chance,
    beacuse I'm using Vista. :'(
    However, COMODO FW v3 seems to be a nice Firewall.
    So here is my question.
    Is COMODO FW v3 recommendable for novices? o_O
    Or maybe I should wait until OA Free supports Vista? o_O
    I am using a router, but I think I'll feel better if I use a nice software firewall.
    Thanks in advance ;)

Regards,
    OHM

2. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Comodo 3.0 is not for newbies. Way too many settings and options. OA is more set it and forget it. ZA is a very easy to use firewall. Wait till OA has Vista support. I love OA.

3. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

I would second that 100%

Comodo 3 nearly drove me mad!

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Not just yet. Wait for further builds, that's my opinion, specially if you say "novices".
    When it's stable and relatively bug free (as software can be), then try it and form an opinion. The GUI needs work also.

It will have a good option to not use Defense+ if that's your concern. If we look at the Firewall only, making rules is a dream i assure you (it's 2.4 with some good new features). Just take a bit of time to see where things are, and set the alert level to your desire for detail (from Yes or No, up to ports and IP's).

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I'm new to HIPS (i.e. I've never used the highly configurable products like SSM)and I find the interface rather counter intuitive. For example, the separation of common tasks and advanced tasks does not seem logical to me. It is also hard to really lock your computer down too when you want to move beyond learning mode.

6. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

I agree. It's not too bad to the people here who already are used to complicated HIPS, but for most other people it's impossible really.

7. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Well I've just uninstalled Comodo Firewall. The HIPS is just becoming a pain to administer as you move beyond learning mode. You actually have to have an understanding of the windows API to be able to make a set of rules to lock down your computer properly.

8. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

My screen saver wouldnt launch. I found Comodo was blocking it. Comodo watches everything you do. Who made this firewall? The FBI...........

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Like i said, you're not obligated to use D+, although you should wait for the next builds (disabling D+ will make sense then).
    You shoudn't try to build a policy by editing everything in there, but simply, either leaving it learning the system, or answering pop-ups (if the machine is clean just say yes to about everything). When it stops learning, it means that applications have the rights they need to work (i assume all is learned for simplicity here). THEN you review the policy built, make adjustments if you know how etc.
    This is a default deny posture, you are allowing what is needed, and then you are given the opportunity to lock it down and deny rights that are not needed (default deny). And you can also detect and block the main problems if you find them - drive by downloads etc. (majority or all try to execute a program down the road to do the real damage, which any HIPS program can block).

I think where everyone agrees with is the GUI. When you try to look at the rules, there are way too many windows to open - thats really confusing, you loose sight of what you got.
    Lets wait for those future versions and see what they bring us in that department.

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, It is not THAT FBI, rather your neighborhood watch-man.

Yes, Comodo 3 will block screensaver by default, you need to

go to control panel>display>screen saver>preview , then a pop up may appear, you click allow and remember options. Take care.

11. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I'd say a resounding no to that, If you want to try Comodo and it supports your OS try ver 2.4, excellent firewall, I have rolled back to that v 3 is still in beta imho, and even when it comes out of that it is likely to have quite a steep learning curve for novices.

12. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

isn't blocking a screen saver a bit too touchy?, I mean rules I understand but that's way over board...

13. OHM

OHM Guest

Thanks for your reply guys.
    Oh well, I think I'll just have to dump Comodo installation program to the bin.
    And I think I'll just wait until OA supports Vista.
    But I heard that free version of OA is not much of a good firewall compared to the paid ones.
    However, I'll still give it a shot, since everyone is recommending it.
    Have a nice day guys :)

14. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

You could always try running it without installing the Defense+ option, that may give you the benefit of a good firewall without all the learning headache.

15. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Well somenone is watching me and recording my every move, there is a number of files going upstream, that I haven't sent.

16. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Yep, that's exactly what I did and it's running as smoothly as version 2.4 on my setup. The popus would have been way too annoying with Defense+ enabled, so why not disable it and still have a solid firewall, as tradetime says? With Defense+ enabled I felt this thing alerted me if I looked away from the monitor! Ok if you like popus and I've no doubt it's a thorough HIPS, but way too noisy. Solution - turn it off and enjoy a nice, quiet firewall. :thumb:

17. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

100% agreed .................a firewall should do whats it made for. Not watching everything you do. I dumped Comodo and went with OA.

18. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

SO, You do not want any software to watch you, THEN dump(disable) Defense+ in Comodo, I can assure you will get a lot of quiet moments (except there is a breach of in/out bound Internet connection). This way, you get what you want--a firewall, nothing but a true-coloured firewall.

As to OA free, you will (still) get some sort of watching activities (HIPS, guys!), and you will have no(correct me, if not) option to disable that watching over your shoulder function. Very often, grass is greener at the other side of fence. And too often, people do not know a bird in your hand is worth MORE than all bunch in the woods. Just my loonie feeling for the day.

Take care and be happy.

19. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Online has been proven better then Comodo. I did a leak test with Comodo and it failed. OA passed. There are way too many settings for Comodo. OA is much more user friendly and works with all my apps.

20. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

In this case, you do have a wise choice. Good for you. :thumb:

21. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

Powerful though it is, CPF V3 is a pain in the butt for the average user. There's no point in using it if you disable Defence +, you might just as well revert to CPF V 2.4, which is what I've done.
    Boot time is ponderously slow with V3 and it's just too complicated to bother with. (It didn't like Avast! too much on my laptop, either!).
    CPF V2.4 runs beautifully with NOD32 V2.7
    I,too, like O.A. and I'm torn between that and CPF.o_O o_O o_O

22. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Frankly, it seems there's nothing i can say, it's worthless. I'm done here.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

With Defense+ disabled, certranly. It's very easy to use. Besides, why go back to old v2.4 when there is latest one v3.0 with better security?

24. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Oh No!!!! CPF failed 1 leak test!!!!!!!! And passing 1 leak test makes a firewall better than another?

Knowone said you had to change the settings.

I thought i was addicted to cpf but 3 out of your 4 posts said oa in it. And 2 out of 4 repeated cpf had too many settings. :D.

I guess the FBI made every hips because all other hips (prosec, ssm) have the same if not more popups.

25. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Comodo 2.4 is a good choice for novices. It doesn't create a fog of confusing alert prompts, it passes leak tests, it provides good protection.

The learning curve for Comodo 3 is steep, particularly for a user who chooses to install the Defense+ HIPS. If Comodo 3 is installed without activating the Defense+ HIPS protection, then the novice can easily master the Comodo 3 firewall-only by simply paying attention to the alerts and actually reading the Help files. Defense+ can be activated at some later time, when/if the user wants the added HIPS protection.

The Comodo Help files are quite good, as is the excellent Comodo Forum.

If I can learn to use Comodo 3, anyone can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.