Is Comodo Firewall really for average home user?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mimijo, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimijo

mimijo Registered Member

Hi all,

I have read alot of good reviews regarding the free comodo personal firewall, and also i have read through the user guide of it. Basically, i understand that Comodo personal firewall is a "set and forget" firewall for the average home user (a.k.a newbie).

But i also understand that we need to set the rules for Bittorent and online gaming...as in "open the ports"...etc.

But im just a average home user...i don't know anything about those rules setting, even after reading through the guides on their forum about settings those rules for bittorent and online gaming. B'cos im afraid that i set the wrong rules and open the wrong ports...etc.

Currently im using Norton Personal Firewall 2006, and everything is almost automatic. I just need to "Allow" or "Block" the softwares that i want to have access to the internet, and Norton automatically will set up the rules for me....

BUT my 1 year licence is going to end by 20 DAYS!!!!
    And i dont know why Norton didnt release its Personal Firewall for year 2007 (a.k.a) Norton Personal Firewall 2007 version. I have searched the Norton website and was unable to find it...and also my local IT store isn't selling it too.

So i really need to find an alternative FREE personal firewall AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!

My requirement is:

Application control
    (as in: can control which can/cannot access the net by answering either
    "Yes / No", and it will auto set the rules for me)

Intrusion Prevention
    (Automatically detect and block internet attacks)

Able to STEALTH all my ports

*PS: I already have KAV 6.0, so i just need a standalone "Firewall".

And basically i use the internet for:

Sufing the internet
    Online gaming
    Bittorent
    And sometimes i need to login to my banking website to do bank transfers.

Im considering the Comodo Personal Firewall or the FREE version of Zone Alarm.But i have heard some news regarding Zone Alarm "phoning" home...etc.Is it true?

And also is the FREE version of Zone Alarm Personal Firewall "good" enough for me? B'cos sometimes i need to do online banking...so im abit concern about those free firewalls being able to protect me?

All i wanted is a firewall that is "Automatic" and similar to Norton Personal Firewall...coz im too used to it and i dont know anything about rules settings.

Or should i just get the Norton Internet Security 2007 suite?
    And use it together with my KAV 6.0?

If so, how do i setup KAV 6.0 as a "on-demand" scanner?
    Isn't it wasted for setting KAV 6.0 as on-demand cos it has got the
    "Proactive Defence"? i will perfer KAV 6.0 then Norton AV included in NIS 2007 as my real time AV. :'(

Can any expert here give me some opinons?

Sorry for my bad english, as english is not my main language.

Thanks in advance :)

Joey

2. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

In no way do I consider myself to be anything more than an average user. I use Comodo and use their forums for anything I'm not sure about.
    I don't know how to make any rules but followed the advice on their forums.

Here's a link to a page full of the most common FAQ's...

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,894.0.html

Anything else you need to know just ask in the help section and it will be answered very quickly.

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I would think that ZA or Comodo would protect you.
    I prefer Comodo.
    It does have the features that you listed.
    It gets "Tru Stealth" at Shields Up.

I don't use BitTorrent so I can't help you there.

4. mimijo

mimijo Registered Member

Hi Joliet Jake,

Yes, i did read through their FAQs in their forum.
    But i just dont have confidence to set up each individual rules as im afraid that i will set the wrong rules and ended up opening ports to the internet. And also i dont have the time / interest to learn all those rules settings.

And also, im into online gaming, and i always try out ALOT of online gaming.
    And i dont know what ports do each of the game that im playin is using.
    Which means, for every game that i play, i need to find out what game use what port, and then set up the individual rules...etc.:'(

I think i need a FREE "application-based" firewall rather than a "rule-based" firewall which make life easier for me

anyway thanks for the reply....

Joey

5. mimijo

mimijo Registered Member

Hi the Tester,

Yea, i prefer Comodo too. But im using Bittorrent and online gaming so i need to set up the required rules in Comodo, but its just too bad that i really dont have the interest / time to set up each individual rules.

I think my only choice will be ZA coz its much more easier for me.

Btw, does anyone here know whether does ZA FREE with the default settings passed the port scans test in Shields Up? Is it really fully "Stealth' from the internet? Cos i cant try it now, as im still using NPF on my comp now...

Regards,
    Joey

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

It passed for me."Tru Stealth" was the rating.

7. mimijo

mimijo Registered Member

Hi the Tester,

Gald to hear that! :D
    Well i think i will stay with ZA FREE then....

8. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I made only one rule for torrents and that's it. You just choose to allow or deny any prog wanting to access the net on your machine from a box that pops up. As for games, I switch off the 'application monitor' while I'm playing. You can sit and make loads of rules for this firewall but you don't have to.

9. timcan

timcan Registered Member

You can still renew the '06 version if you feel more comfortable with norton.
    http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=is&pvid=npf2006

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I don't play games, but I went through the agonizing fear you're going through and asked questions to try to find out if cpf had an automatic option. I was coming off a few years of ZoneAlarm which is just about automatic and dummy friendly, and I am totally ignorant about making rules as such. I finally installed cpf, made about 2 options, and the rest has been just like ZA. I am secretly trying to learn more about rules because it seems interesting, but as far as I can see I don't really have to. Comodo is great.

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'd say comodo would be a good choice for you once your norton license expires. Comodo is free, its security is very good and seeing as you do online banking it would pay to have some good security.

12. noway

noway Registered Member

You could just keep using NPF2006 and not worry about the 20 days. Of course they may not let you have LiveUpdates anymore. The firewall can block inbound and outbound stuff whether you have Intrusion Detection enabled or not and most firewalls don't even use Intrusion Detection and the necessary signatures.

You could always download Zonealarm Free. Many have found version 6.1.744.001 less buggy than the latest 6.5.737.000. Hopefully it will work OK with your Bittorent. Don't install it at the same time you have NPF2006 installed.

Your original decision to get just a firewall instead of a suite was a good one. Now you can use KAV instead of Norton Antivirus. I briefly tried NIS2007 (for the firewall only) and IMHO it is junk now, the firewall itself having peaked in 2004 and gone slowly downhill in 2005 and 2006 to the afterthought that is 2007. Now the firewall is buried deep in the GUI...I think it took 7 mouse clicks to get to the firewall event log! Like you said, just try looking for the basic firewall on the Symantec site today. It shows you how little the firewall now means to them, today and in the future.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  13. jasonago

jasonago Registered Member

Comodo is good but not for the average user...

But the average user can learn the program easily if he's willing...

Anyways most of the firewall's gripe is in the application network control which initiates popups every now and then...And most popups are too complex for the average user to decide...

My opinion? learn the program and if you can't really adapt to it OR you are really annoyed, then try others...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.